Pocket POD or Digitech RP?

ArKay

• Members

Thought I would be getting a Digitech RP-150/250/350 for my 3 months stay in another country next month, but then I found the Pocket POD. Now I don't know which one I should get.

popup.jpg

Does anyone have one yet?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know know anything about the POD series, but they write that it's compatible to the POD 2.0, so if that's a good modeler I should be fine.

Then again the POD 2 doesn't cost that much more. :( Choices, choices.

• Members

The pocket POD does look pretty nifty. I have the RP250 ..and for the most part sounds very good dialed in right for the sounds I use(and the usb capability can be handy) ..I would say go no less than the RP250 as far as RPs are concerned ..though I do have an old RP50 that serves well as a battery headphone travel amp.

• Members

Oh, yes... There's another issue. Since I will bring my Intel iMac (with Windows though) I won't have MIDI in/out for editing patches so it would have to let me edit them through a USB connection. As far as I can see the POD 2 won't let me do that. Pocket POD does, so does the Digitech? One choice less :p

I don't want to spend too much since I already have a Zoom modeler.

POD looks better in the amp/cab department, but the Digitech has pedal, footswitches, built-in drum machine.

Pocket POD:

- 32 amp models

- 16 cab sims

- 16 effects (6 simultaneously?)

Digitech RP250:

- 21 amp / preamp / acoustic models

- 14 cab sims

- 54 effects (11 sim.)

• Members

It depends on what is most important to you. The pocket POD's strength is that it's so small and portable. Just keep in mind that you still have to carry along a guitar which is pretty big. Still, the pocket POD should fit inside any guitar case. It should even fit in the small storage compartment of a hardcase. Also, it will run off batteries! That may be pretty important depending on where you travel. Also, imagine this....you could play your guitar through headphones out in the wilderness. :idea:

Both the POD and RP units will produce good basic amp modeling sound. But, the RP150 & RP250 have a variety of high quality effects including some not found on high priced units like the Tonelab & PODxt Live. Also, the RP units have buttons that you can operate with your feet as well as real bypass, so they can be used like typical guitar pedals with an amp.

I own the RP250 and I think it's a great value because of the expression pedal. The expression pedal will work as a wah pedal, a volume pedal, a whammy, or whatever effect you want to assign it to. I don't think anything else out there beats it for features and quality per dollar.

Now, here are some down sides of the RP250. All the presets seem to have a relatively low volume through headphones. It's loud enough, but in a noisy environment may need tweaking (I also use open air headphones which aren't as loud). You can fix this volume issue by adjusting the patches yourself, but sometimes that can make it clip slightly if you're not careful. All the presets seem to use the noise filter, which cuts sustain. Again, you can fix that by customizing the patches yourself and either adding sustain with a compressor or turning off the noise filter. To switch to bypass or tuner you have to hit both foot buttons at once which doesn't always work right (this is my biggest complaint...and for all I know there is a work around...but so far it sucks) . The tuner is pretty lame...but I have gotten used to it...and it's usable.

Best of luck. I hope your traveling is very enjoyable! :thu:

[EDIT] My brother has an older Digitech RP pedal, and it sounds very fake. These new ones are very good quality modeling IMO. Here is a clip done with the Bassman Model. I did have the level a bit too high, so it might clip slightly. La Tin on Soundclick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=631095

• Members

Thanks jrockbridge!

I will only be using it in my apartment there, so it doesn't have to be all that portable. For the Pocket POD I would need to get a power adapter since I won't be using batteries. Headphone use would be preferred since I only have a small Fender Frontman amp there which is... let's say not so good.

I use the pedal on my Zoom a lot so I think that it's a good bonus. :thu:

Leaning towards the Digitech RP-250 at the moment. :)

• Members

I used to own a POD 2.0 and a PODxt Live. I still own a GuitarPort XT. I would say that the RP250 is between the POD 2.0 and PODxt level stuff. It's better than a POD 2.0, but not quite up to the level of PODxt. Yet, the RP250 has features the XT level stuff does not. For example, the RP250 has 3 models of wah pedals (the XT live has 1). Also, the RP250 has a few stomp box models not found on the XT, an effect that turns your guitar into a bass, a pickup simulator, a whammy, YaYa, and a drum machine...plus more...but that's all I can remember.

I've never liked Digitech stuff. It always sounded too processed to me. But, I think they designed this right. And, the sound samples on their website are accurate...that's how it sounds for real IMO.

[EDIT] Just make sure you have the button on the back set to "mixer" because it sounds horrible in "amp" mode through headphones.

http://digitech.com/RP250Demo/

• Members

I used to own a POD 2.0 and a PODxt Live. I still own a GuitarPort XT. I would say that the RP250 is between the POD 2.0 and PODxt level stuff. It's better than a POD 2.0, but not quite up to the level of PODxt. Yet, the RP250 has features the XT level stuff does not. For example, the RP250 has 3 models of wah pedals (the XT live has 1). Also, the RP250 has a few stomp box models not found on the XT, an effect that turns your guitar into a bass, a pickup simulator, a whammy, YaYa, and a drum machine...plus more...but that's all I can remember.

I've never liked Digitech stuff. It always sounded too processed to me. But, I think they designed this right. And, the sound samples on their website are accurate...that's how it sounds for real IMO.

http://digitech.com/RP250Demo/

Thanks for your clip! Hadn't seen it when I was responding to your previous post. Sounds great! :) I don't trust clips on the manufacturer's homepage all that much since you never know if they've done any extra processing, but it's good to know that they seem to be accurate.

I always try to be open-minded when it comes to new products. I'm very happy with my Zoom G9 modeler which many people seem to have have dismissed right from the start due to bad experiences with previous models (the "I would never buy a Zoom" kind). :D

It really seems to shine in the effects department then, nice! Thanks :thu:

• Members
I've never liked Digitech stuff. It always sounded too processed to me. But, I think they designed this right.

+1 ..I agree ..of several digitech pedals I've owned through the years this the only one I didn't regret buying :D

• Members

Which Zoom unit do you own? You don't like it?

Just curious.

I love it, got the G9.2tt. It's a little too big otherwise I would bring it :)

I have to bring my iMac, and I'll also buy a guitar there which I plan on bringing home with me. So I can't take the Zoom.

• Members

what country are you visiting for 3 months?

-curious-

and i guess since you can write english pretty well that you're not in germany because it's your birthplace

i'm really interested in your story!

Not much of a story there actually. I'm German and I'll be going to China to stay with my wife for a while. :) She's Chinese and will come to live with me next year for 2-3 years after which we'll both move to *gasp* Shanghai. :D

• Members

Not much of a story there actually. I'm German and I'll be going to China to stay with my wife for a while.
:)
She's Chinese and will come to live with me next year for 2-3 years after which we'll both move to *gasp* Shanghai.
:D

Does she know about that shred guitar? ;):D

I have an old (now, dang) Korg AX1500G which is pretty much out of rotation now (except for on the backup amp) but one of the best things is being able to set it to individual pedals and control it with your feet, I practiced with turning the knobs with my toes as well for extra convinience :D To the OP: haven't tried either, the Digitech seems to seem the better choice.

Of course I would suggest an array of ten stompboxes, a tube amp and eight vintage guitars, but I'm guessing that's outside the carrying limit :D

- Ged

• Members

Does she know about that shred guitar?
;):D

I have an old (now, dang) Korg AX1500G which is pretty much out of rotation now (except for on the backup amp) but one of the best things is being able to set it to individual pedals and control it with your feet, I practiced with turning the knobs with my toes as well for extra convinience
To the OP: haven't tried either, the Digitech seems to seem the better choice.

Of course I would suggest an array of ten stompboxes, a tube amp and eight vintage guitars, but I'm guessing that's outside the carrying limit

- Ged

I'm also the OP! :) I really only need it for practice since I'm afraid I would forget everything I've learned up to this point (which isn't a lot to begin with) :cry: Pedal and switches are nice, means less reaching for the unit to change a patch.

She has seen most of the guitars, not the Vester though. She's as passionate about my guitars as I am about her shoes :lol: But luckily she understands my need for more than one so that's cool.

I'm planning to buy an Iceman as soon as I get there, they cost nearly as much as in the US there which is about $400 less than what they go for here. The prices are great compared to Europe, but they don't have all the latest stuff. I would get the Digitech there, but I couldn't find it in any online shop so they probably don't even have it yet. It's a strange market since finding old guitars is also next to impossible.

So it'll only be 1 guitar (gulp) and a modeler which might actually be good for a while... not much distraction. :thu:

• Members

Going to visit your wife after a period of being apart, and you're still thinking about your practice?

THAT'S dedication! :D

Back on topic, I do think something with drum patterns would be helpful in this circumstance, whatever you settle on.

Larry

Archived