Anybody Playing a Jeff Beck Strat?

ZCat

• Members

I don't really need another guitar, but I seem to want one after watching the Crossroads Festival online this weekend.

Pros and cons?

I have an American Deluxe with Fralins, but it doesn't scream like JB's. Kinda like to keep it the way it is, though, great cleans.

• Members

Yep, got one right here ... the Custom Shop version, and it's the only 'new' Strat I've ever set hands on that I love as much as my real-life 1963. Great neck, great PUs, perfect body-weight, super-reliable trem, rock-solid tuning ... what's not to love?

It's also a lot nicer than the regular production version. Still trying to figure out why, but the 'ordinary' JB models I've played just don't feel as good.

• Members

I finally seen one the other day. Daddys Music had a used 06 Signature. Your right they are nice. Don't see them here often.

When JB's Sig first came out I remember I use to see the Green one's all the time. But Now? Pretty much have to order them.

• Members

I have an American Deluxe with Fralins, but it doesn't scream like JB's. Kinda like to keep it the way it is, though, great cleans.

Fralins are fab vintage-style PUs, but the Hot Noiseless set in the JBs give you a pretty good vintage tone at lo/med gain as well as maintaining hull integrity when you take them up to seriously high altitude. After living with a real-life 63 for more than a quarter-century (one of a pair before theft intervened, sob grrr etc), I'm reasonably familiar with Proper Vintage Tone and, while the Hot Noiseless PUs aren't QUITE as juicy as the Real Thing, they're close enough for rock and roll (and blues, and funk, and ...)

One day someone will explain to me exactly WHY the JB Custom Shop is so much better in every way than the regular Signature with which it shares so much of its hardware and on-paper specs. Anyone from the Fender Custom Shop ever cruise this board?

• Members

Fralins are fab vintage-style PUs, but the Hot Noiseless set in the JBs give you a pretty good vintage tone at lo/med gain as well as maintaining hull integrity when you take them up to seriously high altitude. After living with a real-life 63 for more than a quarter-century (one of a pair before theft intervened, sob grrr etc), I'm reasonably familiar with Proper Vintage Tone and, while the Hot Noiseless PUs aren't QUITE as juicy as the Real Thing, they're close enough for rock and roll (and blues, and funk, and ...)

One day someone will explain to me exactly WHY the JB Custom Shop is so much better in every way than the regular Signature with which it shares so much of its hardware and on-paper specs. Anyone from the Fender Custom Shop ever cruise this board?

Ever thought about a Gordon Smith GS-1 to replace the Junior you used to have.

• Members

Gerntlemen! Suggestions!

• Moderators

Gerntlemen! Suggestions!

I would suggest that the difference lies in the neck Charles, I'm tempted to send you this and see what you think. It's built to a JB spec using a Deluxe and a Warmoth boatneck, very very similar to the JB Mk1 I played in a famous guitar shop in Italy a few years ago, wish I'd bought it now, a NOS 1991 JB Sig at

• Members

I had as many as 10 of the original JB Strats, in all the colors. I would play one until it needed frets, then trade it back to the dealer for a brand new one. The original models were the best imo. I love the Lace pickups, the neck and the Sperzels.

My fave was the Midnight Purple one.

I even had a Fender Masterbuilt JB made by Jay Black in Fiesta Red. Jay sent me to try, one of Beck's personal Strats, which I played for one month. It was a terrific guitar.

• Members

My PRS SE Santana Mk 1 retrofitted with a pair of Kent Armstrong HB-sized P90s -- in glorious SG cherry red -- goes some distance towards easing the pain.

Meanwhile, back on topic:

They certainly did: which is why Mr Beck's personal instruments marry the old neck (complete with Wilkinson nut rather than the LSR which replaced it) to the new body, PUs, electronics and hardware.

Gerntlemen! Suggestions!

I read an interesting review in Guitar and Bass Magazine (sorry) on two Nash reliced guitars, a Stratalike and a Telealike and reading between the lines on the relic process slagging there seemed to be two very realistic sounding and playable guitars both with good hardware and pickups. I've been looking for a Strat for about four years now and have never played one with the sound of my friend's original 63 but I have a gut feeling these Nash things just might be the real deal for tone and playability.

• Members

I would suggest that the difference lies in the neck Charles, I'm tempted to send you this and see what you think.
Deluxe2.jpg

JEEZ! Don't do that, RC, `cuz you'll never get it back. But if I'm ever in Bath, I'll bring the Custom Shop, ve vill trink bee-yuh and we can A/B the pair of

• Members

I think anybody who buys the newer Jeff Beck strat is moron. The ones with the lace sensors and the big neck blow away the new ones.

Hey, thanks! Diplomatic, much?

Yep, the big neck was nice ... you liked it, I liked it, Gary liked it and Jeff Beck liked it and ...ummm... that was pretty much it. At one point I was vaguely considering looking out for an older neck, but I'm so comfortable with the Custom Shop one that, frankly, I couldn't be arsed to swap.

As for the Lace Sensors, they weren't bad, but the Hot Noiseless set win easily on points: higher juice'n funk quotient, if nothing else. Ask the man who uses them ... unless you want to argue with that moron whose signature is on the guitar.

• Moderators

Yep, the big neck was nice ... you liked it, I liked it, Gary liked it and Jeff Beck liked it and ...ummm... that was pretty much it. At one point I was vaguely considering looking out for an older neck, but I'm so comfortable with the Custom Shop one that, frankly, I couldn't be arsed to swap.

As for the Lace Sensors, they weren't bad, but the Hot Noiseless set win easily on points: higher juice'n funk quotient, if nothing else. Ask the man who uses them ... unless you want to argue with that moron whose signature is on the guitar.

The bridge Dually did absolutely nothing for that guitar whatsoever, but as for the neck....I love em fat, but as CSM points out a lot don't....who's Gary Charles?

• Members

You can buy noiseless pickups and put them in the guitar if you really want them. You can't get the neck unless you get the older one.

• Members

who's Gary Charles?

Geezer who posts on here megafrequently as 'GarysBlues' -- another big fan of the Original Big Fat Neck. He made a contribution earlier on in this thread -- check for him north of here.

Anyway, let's all be moron together ... right, guitarmandp?

Archived