Edwards

aragorn

• Members

This is it Edwards fans, your chance to tell us all how good these guitars are.

I have always lusted for a Gibson LP but simply put I don't think I will ever afford one given the ridiculous prices here in OZ. I have a couple of Epis with my No1 being the 50th Anniversay LP custom, but would love something a little nicer with a nitro finish, that I am more comfortable dragging around the country.

Tell me about the Edwards, what's good and bad about them. From what I can read (the websites are all in Japanese) I can have one for about a grand or a little less. Also any horror stories about shipping, I am a little hesitant to risk the money for an axe to be shipped from japan.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got mine from Ishibashi, was an extra $150 AUS to get it shipped to Aus, all up I think it ended up costing about $850 ish (AUS) They are a nice guitar necks somewhere between 50s and 60s Gibson necks I reckon.

If you are thinking of Ishibashi, do it, they are great, and easy to get along with.

p1210079ua0.jpg

• Members

wow love that top!!!

Nice to see an aussie reply, how did it go with import duty etc???

Cost nothing to get in the country, I think (not 100% sure though) that import dutys ect are only on items over a grand. Either way, takes 3 or 4 days to ship, 25 minutes to unwrap the bugger (if you buy from ishibashi) and your there.

I've gotten 3 guitars from these guys, all under a grand, never had any dramas or issues. Never had to pay import either.

• Members

Hey! All the info I wanted to ask about Edwards for an Australian without having to ask!

Good work guys.

I got mine from Ishibashi, was an extra $150 AUS to get it shipped to Aus, all up I think it ended up costing about $850 ish (AUS) They are a nice guitar necks somewhere between 50s and 60s Gibson necks I reckon.

If you are thinking of Ishibashi, do it, they are great, and easy to get along with.

p1210079ua0.jpg

That's really hot mate. And {censored}, $850 AU sounds like an awesome price!

Sheesh.

Are you trying to empty my wallet? :D

- Ged

• Members

Ishibashi treats us here in the US right too! Ive got an Edwards Sykes thats a fantastic guitar! It gives nothing up to my Gibby studio. Plays and sounds awesome and is a pro axe all the way. Great fit and finish. I love the Edwards!

DUO2.jpg

• Members

Cool, all my fears allayed right there. A quality axe for less than an epiphone, and no stress about import.

By 25min to unpack Itake it Ishibashi pack them really well.

Also what is with the diff models I figured LTS means laquer finish standard (which is what I want) LP means les Paul but what do the different numbers ie 98 -95 etc..

Alright bring on the tax refund.

• Members

Yes the LTS means its a Lacquer Taste model. It has a thin lacquer finish over a poly base coat (or so I was told). The different numbers are just the different model numbers. For instance the 98 is the Les Paul Custom style model and etc.

I myself am getting a new Edwards in the next couple of weeks and cant wait! :D

• Members

Cool, all my fears allayed right there. A quality axe for less than an epiphone, and no stress about import.

By 25min to unpack Itake it Ishibashi pack them really well.

Also what is with the diff models I figured LTS means laquer finish standard (which is what I want) LP means les Paul but what do the different numbers ie 98 -95 etc..

Alright bring on the tax refund.

They are right about duty.. As long as its under $1000 (inc shipping) you are fine.. But if its 1c over.. you pay 10%GST + 5%duty on the entire amount (I got stung with my Explorer, because of the exchange rate on that one day it was $2 over $1000!!

Ishibashi are awesome, Can't speak highly enough of them.. Don't buy an Epiphone locally, buy an Edwards. BUT...

If you can pony up about $1300.. Can I suggest a Bacchus? Bacchus are another Japanese brand and honestly they are Gibson Custom shop quality (I have had Edwards and currently have a Gibson CS and a Bacchus).

I only mention it as we have an Australian importer for Bacchus now (I'm not affiliated in any way).

http://deviser.co.jp/bacchus/archives/category03/03sub1/index.php

Local dealer is http://www.japanvintageguitars.com/

This is my Bacchus.. I love it..

bac_cls.jpg

bac.jpg

• Members

Dont those bacchus need a special type of oil for the top or something? I thought I remember reading about that..

Some of them do (mine does), its just Danish oil once in a while.

They have 3 series, el cheapo Chinese LP knockoffs, these Oil series and a Lacquer series (which are a little more traditional Gibson style).

The coolest thing about Bacchus, they are a really small company so you can custom order pretty much anything!

• Members

Sorry..... my bad.
:o

You don't wanna know what Gibsons cost here!! :freak:

Ok.. I'll tell ya..

The STREET price.. Not RRP.. for a Les Paul Standard.. is about $3900 US..

A Mexi Strat? Nearly $700US.. We get pounded :eek:

• Members

could someone do a big write up on edwards? cause im really really thinking about it.....

i want to know if there LES PAULs are the one piece solid wood with a cap like gibsons..... i love the Lemon Drop LP they have and i am {censored}ing creaming my pants over their LP VTG wHITE custom Les Paul.

arrgghh.. damn!! so many guitars i want, but i keep thinking about these. whats theird quality control like? et cetera et cetera....

• Members

My next major guitar purchase is an Edwards guitar. Thats why I am looking for a job now so I can save up the cash. But I do have two questions. Does anyone who has an Edwards LP know if the tops a flamed through or a veneer followed by a maple cap? As for the strat and teles what neck shape would you guys best associated them as?

• Members

My next major guitar purchase is an Edwards guitar. Thats why I am looking for a job now so I can save up the cash. But I do have two questions. Does anyone who has an Edwards LP know if the tops a flamed through or a veneer followed by a maple cap? As for the strat and teles what neck shape would you guys best associated them as?

yeah , id like to know about the finishes too....... how would an Edwards finish stand up next to a sexy looking Gibson?

• Members

Just wondering--has the tanking US dollar helped to bring the price of Gibsons down in Europe or Australia or anywhere else? I thought it was supposed to make our exports cheaper. Good lord, $3900 for a Standard.

• Members

yeah , id like to know about the finishes too....... how would an Edwards finish stand up next to a sexy looking Gibson?

Bah! Now that I think about it I wonder how the LTS finishes hold up? Ishibashi doesn't currently have any flamed top guitar in standard finishes. If the LTS finish does wear extra fast then I might pass for a standard.

Archived