Guitar is an expensive hobby

ILikeGuitar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was actively playing in bar bands.... I had a beat up 50 watt used marshall stack... a beat to hell charvel and a carvin kit.

Now that I only intermittently sit in with bands (and then mostly as lead vocalist)... I have

Mesa Boogie Rectoverb

Epiphone Valve Standard

PRS 20th anniversary std

Luthier built Kornia custom

Charvel Koa SanDimas

Ernie Ball MM Axis

Ernie Ball MM Silhouette

2 Fender Strats

2 Frankencaster Customs

Charvel acoustic/electric

Not to mention a full PA rig that I DJ with....

... I don't see any problem with hanging out here... do you? :D

• Members

Especially when you're here, looking at and buying guitars/equiptment more than you're playing haha. And when you are in college and making very little money. I went from 2 guitars to 5 in the 2-3 months I've been here. You guys are a bad influence
:mad::thu:

...but are you having fun yet?cool.gifThis is still cheaper than a car hobby.

• Members

When I was actively playing in bar bands.... I had a beat up 50 watt used marshall stack... a beat to hell charvel and a carvin kit.

Now that I only intermittently sit in with bands (and then mostly as lead vocalist)... I have

Mesa Boogie Rectoverb

Epiphone Valve Standard

PRS 20th anniversary std

Luthier built Kornia custom

Charvel Koa SanDimas

Ernie Ball MM Axis

Ernie Ball MM Silhouette

2 Fender Strats

2 Frankencaster Customs

Charvel acoustic/electric

Not to mention a full PA rig that I DJ with....

This seems about right. Whats the problem again?biggrin.gif

• Members

...but are you having fun yet?
cool.gif
This is still cheaper than a car hobby.

Oh yeah guitar is sweet, trying to teach yourself at times can be frustrating and a slow process but it feels good after all that work and being able to play things you haven't been able to do before. I used to play brass horns and this is much more challenging.

• Members

i think you can avoid the GAS, if you're disciplined. I've bought more stuff since i discovered internet forums, but at least i'm buying nice stuff now, and am generally happy with what i buy. I'm not trading guitars once a week like some people.

Plus compared to most musical instruments, guitars are cheap. Cars, etc., are much more expensive than guitars.

• Members

Its really relatively inexpensive when you think about it. Besides electricity, it costs nothing to use a guitar. Its not like you need to buy gas or paintballs or whatever you might be into. Stuff rarely breaks as long as you take care of it. And your getting what you pay for. Spend big bucks and your getting great stuff that will last a long time (usually).

• Members

All hobbies are the same, they can be as inexpensive (relatively) as you want them to be or expensive as you're willing to make them. How ever much you spend on it....as long as you're enjoying it (as should be the purpose of hobbies), that's all that matters.

Although you are also right in that this forum is an influence that can have you leaning towards spending more....opinions will vary on if that's good or bad...........:)

• Members

Oh yeah this site makes me want to own one of each type of guitar with each type of pup configuration,but I don't drink or party etc and I am gaining a nice collection that will last me a lifetime.

Plus I have bought each guitar at either a good deal or a great deal thanks to this site!

• Members

wait 'till the studio bug bites

not just guitars and amps but microphones, mic pres, compressors, daws, monitors, interface, computers, drum kit, basses, synth, etc....just freaking endless and hopeless.

• Members

Especially when you're here, looking at and buying guitars/equiptment more than you're playing haha. And when you are in college and making very little money. I went from 2 guitars to 5 in the 2-3 months I've been here. You guys are a bad influence
:mad::thu:

Disagree.:wave:

Vintage automobile collecting.

Biplanes.

Yachting.

10's-1000's of times more expensive. Trut. :)

• Members

Golf - more expensive

Boating - more expensive

Plus it's hard to make these a business unless you're totally pro. Playing guitar is easy to make a part-time business where you can get a number of tax deductions and other benefits (ask your tax professional for more details).

Archived