PRS guys- what pickups worked well for you?

Mayanus

• Members

I have a royal blue custom 22 at the moment. Only problem is I don't like the pickups. The bridge pickup really sounds too compressed and trebly, and as a result I need to roll off the tone control to about 4 in order to cut through a band. On the other hand, the neck pickup is way too smooth and has no bite at all. It sounds pretty good for chords, but it can get very bassy and muddy.

I'd heard that Seymour Duncans were a good match for PRS guitars (I have a jazz/jb in my Parker fly and they sound great) but has anyone ever used Dimarzio or anything else? I play heavy rock, jazz and fusion if that's any help.

Suggestions please? What do you use?

• Members

Anytime pup replacements come up I suggest you talk to Bryan at BG-Pups. Tell him what you need and he'll hand wind some for you. Not sure what pups are in the CU22. The only PRS pups I've ever heard that I didn't like were the #6s. They sounded just like what you're describing. Other than that, I've left the stock pups in the McCarty Rosewood, but changed the stock to Dragon I's in the CE24.

Another good source for info on PRS stuff is the Birds and Moon Forum. They are absolute PRSi fanatics over there. Check 'em out.

• Members

As Tulk posted I have a line of handwound pups and theres probably a model that will work great for you. I'd suggest a BG Bucker Dark for the bridge and either a BG Bucker neck or a Lizard neck.

I'm personally using my Smoke Stack set in my CE24 and PUFs in my EG3.

I have clips and info for all of my pickups at www.bg-pups.com

Thanks,

Bryan

• Members

I have the stock HFS in the bridge and Vintage Bass on my PRS.

My Korina Custom has a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck.

The guitars are very similar (Korina is lighter and a bit more open but similar to light mahogany, PRS has trem other is hard tail) but to compare them I'd say the JB is actually a bit hotter and punchier than the HFS, but my PRS doesn't have the maple top. I'd maybe look at something like a Pearly Gates or such.

luczak7.jpg

Archived