mic preamps?

plastic

• CMS Author

Originally posted by plastic

Anyone have any suggestions for good mic preamps. I am looking betwee $500 - 1000 and don't mind going the used route.

You know, it doesn't make any difference, and it makes a world of difference. It depends on the mic you're using, what you're recording, where you're recording it, and what you want it to sound like. Unfortunately, you have at least 100 to choose from in that range, an that's not even asking how many channels do you need? The Mackie Onyx 800R gets you eight pretty decent mic preamps for that price, but they don't have any character. You can get an FMR RNP or two in that range and get come color. You can almost get a Great River ME-1NV for that (1 channel) and I think you can get one channel of John Hardy electronics for about a grand. You can get 4 channels of Sytek for about that price, and get the half-and-half version with two channels using one chip and the other channels using a different chip for two different sounds.

So, there's no really great answer other than "I have a @@@@@ and I love it."

Get the blue one, but watch out for the green ones.

• Members

Originally posted by plastic

Anyone have any suggestions for good mic preamps. I am looking betwee $500 - 1000 and don't mind going the used route.

FMR RNP are great for that price. But what kind of preamps are you looking for? What are you recording? What kind of mic are you using?

Archived