ES-339... yay or nay?

Dr. Strangelove

• Members

Here's Gibson's own link.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson%20Custom%20Proudly%20Presents/

Downsized 335-alikes are deeply cool. Here's how to get a great one (needing only a set of PAF-alikes to replace the Super Distortion-style V2s) for a lot less dough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-as50_W0QQitemZ170145352118QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And I've nothing to do with this sale. I'm only posting this 'cause I own one of these guitars and I love it dearly.

• Members

I'm a fan of smaller-bodied hollow and semi-hollow guitars, but this seems more like its marketed to get Les Paul players to buy another guitar.

On the other hand, its cool to see gibson coming up with a new model for once. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

• Members

I went and checked out the info on the Gibson site. I'm in the market and plan on making a purchase after the first of the year (if there aren't anymore setbacks). That looks like one "sweet" axe. I played a LP Custom for alot of years but have very fond memories of an ES 330 I played many years ago and thought about possibly buying a 335. This may be the perfect compromise. Street price on the 339 looks to be $1800, that's quite a bit less than a 335. Gonna have to go play one. Decisions, decisions, decisions. This will probably be the last guitar I buy (blasphemy, you say!), so it has to be the RIGHT one.
to be continued...

• Members

I'm definitely going to try one and will seriously consider buying one. I've been looking for a good semi hollow that's smaller than a 335. Trying to get a Robben Ford/Larry Carlton kind of sound. I've tried the Collings I-35 which is as close to perfect as it gets but is also $6000 and I simply can't afford that. I was very impressed with the Hamer Newport as well, a more reasonable $2200. But I've got to track down a CS336 and this new 339. At the price, the 339 could be the winner though.

• Members

looks cool, but i want to see a pic of it next to a 335 for comparison. I can tell it has a smaller body, but i cant really tell how small. If gibson started putting the slim taper necks on all of their guitars then i may be more interested in what they have to offer.

Archived