Yamaha SA2200 semi-hollow... any opinions?

P-M-P

• Members

does anyone know if they take international orders http://www.watanabe-mi.com/shopping/EG/03EG/YAMAHA.html, because even after shipping the sa2200 is significantly cheaper the ordering from the usual internet suspects. It works out to only being about $953 dollars then add about $130 for shipping would only be $1083 a huge saving compared to buying it for $1500. Anyone have experience please let me known.

• Members

The SAS-1500 has been listed in Yamaha Japan catalogs for years...I have one.

Zenbu, pray tell! I'd like to know:

1. Is it routed hollow out of a one-piece mahogany body?

2. How is it balanced, seeing that the body is smallish?

3. What is the neck like? I am hoping it'll be like the SA2200.

4. How would you describe its tonal qualities?

5. Overall, do you like/love it?

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Zenbu, pray tell! I'd like to know:

1. Is it routed hollow out of a one-piece mahogany body?

2. How is it balanced, seeing that the body is smallish?

3. What is the neck like? I am hoping it'll be like the SA2200.

4. How would you describe its tonal qualities?

5. Overall, do you like/love it?

Calling Zenbu - are you there, mate? :wave:

• Members

The SA2200 is a WONDERFUL guitar and you can feel the quality as soon as you pick it up. A year ago, I was about to get one but played it side by side a few times with a Yamaha AES1500, which was the one I ended up buying. It was tough to make up my mind!!!

Top end Yamahas will hold their own against ANY brand. I had a Gibson CS and the AES1500 is better built and a nicer player all around.

• Members

The SA2200 is a WONDERFUL guitar and you can feel the quality as soon as you pick it up. A year ago, I was about to get one but played it side by side a few times with a Yamaha AES1500, which was the one I ended up buying. It was tough to make up my mind!!!

Top end Yamahas will hold their own against ANY brand. I had a Gibson CS and the AES1500 is better built and a nicer player all around.

I hear you, my man! cf. sig - that's why I want to add to the "collection." I expect to get the SG2000 first of all though. How hard does the AES1500 rock; I mean, how high up on the bReWtAl-0-meter? ;)

• Members

I hear you, my man! cf. sig - that's why I want to add to the "collection." I expect to get the SG2000 first of all though. How hard does the AES1500 rock; I mean, how high up on the bReWtAl-0-meter?
;)

You can do anything with the AES1500.

When I purchased it, I figured the stock DiMarzios would be gone quickly, changed out for some "proper" pups. I was wrong. The DiMarzios are incredibly versatile. These pups can be split just like the SA2200 and by playing with the height of the pole screws on each coil, you can match volume for both single coil and humbucker modes. With all the available options, you can go from almost an acoustic clean to full amp-driving humbucker overload. Once setup correctly, you have 12 distinct tones by using the pup selector and push/pull switches. The neck is pure silk, offering comfort and a little bit of

• Members

Considering the tremendous quality and the cost of both the SA2200 and the AES1500, they are an absolute STEAL. Yamaha is truly an underrated company. If any of the "classic" guitar gods had played a Yamaha, these would be selling for three times the current price.

Hush, the least we want is to drive up the price! ;) But I agree. :thu: Thanks for your reply.

• Members

Hush, the least we want is to drive up the price!
;)
But I agree.
:thu:
Thanks for your reply.

Welcome! Sorry I went off the deep end about the AES1500 when this post was about the SA2200!

I prefered the 1500 because it has more "air" in its tone but the 2200 is baaaaaaad! It has that "umph" to its sound that hard to beat! Meatier and with more "cojones" :D

• Members

the only Yamahas I`ve been playing for a while now are my old Dynamic acoustic nylon strings. Haven`t played either the 2200 or 1500 for some time and I don`t feel nearly as qualified to give a detailed review as electric blue...well done, enjoyed reading that by the way. I`m just a couch player and I buy what I like... to me guitars are subjective...what one player likes another may not. Fortunately I am in a position to play most of what interests me prior to buying...but not always...have bought many Dynamics off the web here but thats because after getting the first I kind of had an idea what to expect from the others.

There are many who would be much better at dissecting the intricasies of tone than me...I don`t spend a lot of time worrying about how long a long neck tenon is or fret end binding or the virtues of lacquer over poly...I buy and play what pleases me. Maybe my ears just ain`t refined enough and I have more of a primitive approach, not sure.

• Members

I don`t spend a lot of time worrying about how long a long neck tenon is or fret end binding or the virtues of lacquer over poly...I buy and play what pleases me. Maybe my ears just ain`t refined enough and I have more of a primitive approach, not sure.

I'm just a home player too who sometimes gets to jam with friends but IMHO and for what it's worth, I think your approach is perfect. :thu:

Archived