Tunamatic to wraparound conversion

prauny

• Members

I want to try and convert a tunamatic guitar to wraparound, and i wondered if anyone here had done it before. I seem to remember a famous bloke did it on a black les paul standard which somebody posted info about on here. So if anyone has pics or info for me please do tell and post pics... cheers.

• Moderators

I want to try and convert a tunamatic guitar to wraparound, and i wondered if anyone here had done it before. I seem to remember a famous bloke did it on a black les paul standard which somebody posted info about on here. So if anyone has pics or info for me please do tell and post pics... cheers.

What guitar is it Prauny?

• Members

What guitar is it Prauny?

Its an old Hondo les paul style. Bolt on neck and ply body but it still has a bent ply top so it looks like a carved top. Its actually a nice player and sounds good with the pickups im using. The only thing i dont like is the bridge which i had to replace as it was with one i had laying around. But the tunamatic one i used has rattly screws, and i already have a les paul with tunamatic bridge so i fancied giving the conversion a try.... sorry, i ramble sometimes.

Here she is...

DSCF1880.jpg

• Members

Lot more work than you'd be led to believe. If your talking about changing a Stop-Tail and a TOM. To a straight up Compensated bridge.

Where the bridge is, Is where the Compensated bridge will go. So the Stop-Tail holes will need to be filled. Also [i could be wrong] I believe the anchor holes for the two..ABR and the Stop-Tail are a different width. And to complicate matters they overlap.

Just for a trial experiment: Wrap the strings around your Stop-Tail and use the bridge saddle's more or less just for a guide. This will give you an idea of the difference in sustain you are missing.

I have read about many who have done or who are still doing this. Most agree the results are minimal. LOOKS.....well that my friend is whole other topic.

Compensated bridge's are the earlier design. The Stop-Tail with a ABR. Nashville, or whatever bridge is the updated version. Not that its wrong or right.

The machine work on the anchor holes had to be dead right on the Compensated bridge. Should they wind up off in any direction, them problems were sure to follow...........Strings not lining up over the PUP Pole's No forward or reverse movement for intonation on individual strings. Which is a direct result of the [bADD ASS] bridge being invented. I still see the Bad-Ass used from now and then,

I was playing a LP-DC Studio 1998 model which came stock with a Compensated Bridge. I had a problem with the high-E being unable to line up over its respective poles. Thus a Compensated BAD ASS was installed. Gibson reccommended the Bad Ass to me? And it worked great.

Anyway GOOD LUCK with your project.

• Members

basically, plug all the holes for the TOM, then redrill the bridge holes to take the wrapround of your choice....the Wilkinson would be a good choice for that guitar

OK, that sounds easy enough. I bought a wilkinson wraparound this morning so i will be using that :) I had hope to make it seamless but unless i can plug the hole with wood that had the same grain and colour that may not happen. But its only a cheap guitar that i want to see if i can make it good. Next up for it is my first fret level... *shudder

• Members

bridge being invented. I still see the Bad-Ass used from now and then,

I was playing a LP-DC Studio 1998 model which came stock with a Compensated Bridge. I had a problem with the high-E being unable to line up over its respective poles. Thus a Compensated BAD ASS was installed. Gibson reccommended the Bad Ass to me? And it worked great.

Anyway GOOD LUCK with your project.

Thanks for all that info dude, some things to look out for there. I'll be sure to be as carefull as i can when measuring and drilling the holes.

• Members

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with an Epiphone LP Studio.

Let us know how it turns out. As long as you are able to measure and drill accurately, you should be fine.

Measure twice drill once, i'll make sure i do it properly.

Archived