Tokai LS-135. Tokai's R8 - Heads up

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

These are built to the same spec as the Gibson Custom Shop 58 (R8) and are venerated by all Tokai buffs, reckon some3body could talk him into a good price

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Japan-Love-Rock-LS135-Std-VF-Long-Tenon-Nitro_W0QQitemZ220152504470QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6c72_1.JPG

• Members

I had a 85 LS-50 that was a VERY well built LP. Long neck Tenon, all the same spec's as late 50's LP's.

Only thing that needs to be swapped on them from the factory.....electronics. They are not known for very good pick-ups. Fellow who sold me mine already loaded it with SD 59/JB set from the 80's. Early SD pups, especially the JB is definatly a better sounding pup than todays.

LS-50 had a 60 profile neck that I didn't like though. The LS-50 is a plain-top Les-Paul also, for those who do not know.

If you are in the market for an exceptional LP? I would definatly give the 78-85 Tokai's a good hard look. Like its mentioned.....in order to get a Gibson LP with a Long Neck Tenon? You have to go Custom Shop RI.

Too give you an idea of just how good these are? The friend who bought mine, played a 57 RI Gibson LP, and a PRS Custom 22 as his main electrics. He bought my LS-50 and it moved into the #1 spot ahead of the Gibson and the PRS. They are NO-JOKE!

• Moderators

I had a 85 LS-50 that was a VERY well built LP. Long neck Tenon, all the same spec's as late 50's LP's.

Only thing that needs to be swapped on them from the factory.....electronics. They are not known for very good pick-ups. Fellow who sold me mine already loaded it with SD 59/JB set from the 80's. Early SD pups, especially the JB is definatly a better sounding pup than todays.

LS-50 had a 60 profile neck that I didn't like though. The LS-50 is a plain-top Les-Paul also, for those who do not know.

If you are in the market for an exceptional LP? I would definatly give the 78-85 Tokai's a good hard look. Like its mentioned.....in order to get a Gibson LP with a Long Neck Tenon? You have to go Custom Shop RI.

Too give you an idea of just how good these are? The friend who bought mine, played a 57 RI Gibson LP, and a PRS Custom 22 as his main electrics. He bought my LS-50 and it moved into the #1 spot ahead of the Gibson and the PRS. They are NO-JOKE!

Gary, as mentioned above the ls-135 has CTS & Switchcraft, think it has bumble bees as well, and Nitro finish, lightweight tailpiece, Honduran mahogany body, it basically it is R8

Archived