What can I add too boiled linseed oil to make it more amber?

adambomb

• Members

I am going the easy rout with a replacement neck for my Tom Delonge strat as far as finishing goes. (finger board is ebony, Carvin maple neck with un-shaped headstock that i turned into a CBS style strat headstock.)

what can I add to the boiled linseed oil to make it more vintage amber color?

thanx.

.....the original neck's fingerboard radius was too damn round, I'm sorry but I have to hear my bends not choke when I'm unplugged.

True, the Fender neck has way more vibe but I have to PLAY the thing as well as look at it. At least the headstock is a CBS shape and not the ugly Carvin shape.

• Members

quote:
shred and roll I wouldn't add anything to it as it will darken anything you put it on.

that's the idea though, to make the raw unfinished white-ish maple that it is now, into a vintage amber by adding something (stain?) to the boiled linseed oil i'm finishing the neck with.
I just want some opinions as to exactly WHAT would mix easily with the boiled linseed oil to make it more vintage amber

• Members

I wonder what color of Trans Tint to use though?
I mean the boiled linseed oil has a slight yellow color.(Though no where near aged amber)
If i use Trans Tint Amber will it make it too orange?

Would using a more brownish Trans Tint added to the the yellowish linseed even it out to an amber?

The original color is a light, whitish maple. Not severly white though.
.....just to give you an idea of what im working with.

thanx for the responses, I feel like I am getting somewhere.

• Members

Garlic, basil, angel hair, a little sprinkled romano, crushed fresh tomatoes and maybe some little neck clams?

Seriously, you could heat your oil in a pot on a stove, the longer you heat it the darker it will get, but also the thicker, so there is a point youll have to stop or it will be too thick to use.

Make sure you keep a fire extinguisher nearby because linseed oil is extremely combustable and has been known to spontaneuosly combust on a rag left in a jar or similar.
This method will actually work but it wiil pass an amber stage and go straight to brown very quickly so keep an eye on it.
This method works no better or worse than some of the others, but you dont have to add anything and are guaranteed the purity of your oil.
Good luck, and dont worry, playing with fire can be extremely fun!

Archived