Dye for a rosewood fret board

prauny

• Members

I searched already and for some reason i got no usefull results on here and on project guitar. Which is odd as i know this has been discussed before. I only wish i had payed more notice at the time...

Anyway, i want to dye my rosewood fretboard to look like ebony or just a darker colour, would those shoe polish sponge applicators work? Or do i need a better dye than that? Or even Kiwi shoe polish from a tin maybe? I know its been used to age necks.

This is what i mean about the sponge applicator http://www.dollardays.com/images/z04/image2/15560.jpg

• Members

This might sound a little crazy but here goes. If you have any Walnut trees

around with the nuts still in the husk,or the husks off the ground, put the green husks in a container and mash them into pulp,let them age a few days until the concoction turns black. I have used this stain on many different projects besides guitar projects and it works great. Beware ! use gloves on your hands, the only thing that will remove it from your fingers is time

• Members

This might sound a little crazy but here goes. If you have any Walnut trees

around with the nuts still in the husk,or the husks off the ground, put the green husks in a container and mash them into pulp,let them age a few days until the concoction turns black. I have used this stain on many different projects besides guitar projects and it works great. Beware ! use gloves on your hands, the only thing that will remove it from your fingers is time

I love these types of tips. I often think how i could make my own things before i go out and buy them. Unfortunetly i dont know where any walnut trees are around here, but i do like the tip dude :thu:

Did i mention that i liked that tip?

• Members

Is that not the leather dye that Atrox mentioned?

Yes that is it. This is what I originally ordered and it says leather dye right on the package. It even has pictures of little horse saddles on it :)

They can't ship this outside US either

• Members

Forgive the crappy photo quality below, but it will give you a bit of an idea. The guitar on the left has a rosewood board, rosewood stained with the Stew-Mac leather dye in the middle, and actual ebony on the right. Obviously, it is next to impossible to distinguish the fretboards in a small pic, but the leather dye worked GREAT. Very consistent coverage using using a cotton swab or cloth. Have some acetone or other similar product handy to quickly remove any unwanted dye, and be sure to tape off anything you don't want to get stained. The only problem I ran into was that the fretboard edge had the same satin/clearcoat as the back of the neck, so I gave up trying to get the dye to stick.

jackson1.jpg

• Members

Forgive the crappy photo quality below, but it will give you a bit of an idea. The guitar on the left has a rosewood board, rosewood stained with the Stew-Mac leather dye in the middle, and actual ebony on the right. Obviously, it is next to impossible to distinguish the fretboards in a small pic, but the leather dye worked GREAT. Very consistent coverage using using a cotton swab or cloth. Have some acetone or other similar product handy to quickly remove any unwanted dye, and be sure to tape off anything you don't want to get stained. The only problem I ran into was that the fretboard edge had the same satin/clearcoat as the back of the neck, so I gave up trying to get the dye to stick.

jackson1.jpg

Nice, thats the effect im after. Do you still see the wood grain on your fretboards?

• Members

Just make sure it's oil based, like Fiebings Pro, not water based.

What about alcohol based? That's what I bought on ebay (don't have it yet though).

Regarding inlays and binding, I did some research, and found out that dye will be on the surface of inlays, but a simple pencil eraser will clean it right up. However, binding will dye to a certain degree unless it's sealed with poly. I also found out that frets take on a dark stain and need to be polished with steel wool after the dye job. :)

• Members

Will leather dye effect dot inlays?

Yes, depending on what material is used for the inlays. I dyed many many necks, and sometimes the dye wipes right off the inlay, other times I have to hit it with steel wool to get the slight gray hue off that the dye leaves behind.

Standard dot inlays happen to be the same size as an ordinary hole puncher. So I've been punching out little masking tape dots and putting them over the dot lnlays. Time consuming, but makes clean up easier later on.

I have not dyed a fretboard with huge inlays yet, so I have no advice on that, except to say don't let the dye sit for a long time on the inlays. Wipe it off the inlays immediately.

Archived