So yesterday i played my friends Epi LP...

Tom B.

• Members
Let's run with that.

What eveidence do you have to back that claim?

Why would American workers put more care in their work than a Korean or Chinese worker? Is it genetic?

What about a Korean American or Chinese American working in a Gibson plant? Do they put less care in their work than a full blooded American worker (whatever that is)?

I live in a town with a big GM plant and honestly, the workers there have very little work ethic. I have friends that work there and have been told some amazing stories.

Many American workers today care more about the pay rate, benefits, and personal time than the actual work. 50 years ago that wasn't true but it is becoming a sad fact of life today.

I love my country but the American work ethic is not close to what it used to be. I would not be suprised at all that many countries have passed us by in that department.

i said "care" not "love". less time per guitar is spent building MIC or MIK guitars, and this is by design of the assembly process. also, the workers are almost always less highly trained than those working in the Gibson USA plant.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
They don't suck, but they aren't gibsons either. Like more and more MIC and MIK guitars these days, they are built with more care, but in most cases, the hardware and electronics (as well as wood) will likely be inferior to what you'd find on a gibson.

I think the orgional poster meant made with "more care" then the MIC and MIK guitars used to be made with. Like the Japanese before them these factories (IMO) are becoming more skilled and following the TQM principals pioneered in the 1980's by Toyota.

Either that, or he's saying Gibson sucks.

• Members

I bought a lefty Epi LP Standard back around 1999, it was junk, the tuners were crap, the pickups sucked, and the pots were useless..no taper to them at all until you got down to around 2 then they abruptly shut off, I hated the Epi version of the tune-o-matic, the saddles sit higher than on a Gibson abr1 and actually cut my hand. After evaluating it I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth investing money in it to upgrade all the {censored}ty components so I unloaded it on Ebay.

• Members
you were being one I simply stated it, sorry it was quite juvenile of me would you like it removed?

Well, two things: First, when I said I couldn't afford one, I was responding to derf, not you. As I frequently tell my kids: "It's not always about you".

OTOH, I plead guilty to frequently being an a-hole, so you may leave the post! :lol:

• Members

i would freakin hope that gibson feels better because for the love of god they cost sooooooooooooooo much more.

I just think that epi's sound and feel good enough that gibson's aren't worth the price tag in comparison.
the 500-800 dollar models are reasonable to me but the 2000 guitars just don't do anything for me because of the price to performance ratio. If you want a gibson and can afford it i understand.

I have my computer gaming habit to keep up as well and I need to build a solid dual core pci exp vista gaming machine in the near future so i can play bioshock, UT3, Crysis, ect and so I just can't afford to spend that on a guitar.....lol

• Members

Let's run with that.

Many American workers today care more about the pay rate, benefits, and personal time than the actual work. 50 years ago that wasn't true but it is becoming a sad fact of life today.

I love my country but the American work ethic is not close to what it used to be. I would not be suprised at all that many countries have passed us by in that department.

When I landed my first job and was full of the enthusiasm of youth, I looked forward to the promise of moving up the corporate ladder by virtue of maintaining an excellent work ethic backed by solid job performance. My co-workers, on the other hand, were perfectly content with coasting by day in and day out, confident in the fact that they were guaranteed their meager pay raises and promotions based on the fact that they had longevity with the company and belonged to the union. I absolutely HATED it, and have always maintained that this kind of system is detrimental to the country's workforce.

• Members

I have absolutley no complaints about my epiphone lp. It's a work of art. I wonder why no-one ever picks on squire? They are the same thing. They also are preportionate in price to epiphone the way fender is to gibson. Whats the problem with epiphone? I'm sick of all the nay-sayers. They are great guitars!

A: Gibson can make a great product.

B: I don't believe you have to pay Gibson prices to get Gibson quality.

If you want to pay top dollar for Gibson, PRS, et al. Go right ahead. Those are great guitars.

For me that would be a dreadful waste of money that would make me inconsolable. Even if I were to buy a Gibson, it would be used and at a giveaway price. I wouldn't mind owning one. I just don't think they're worth the money.

Before I'd buy a Gibson, I'd by the Epi, rewire it, add GFS pickups, mod the hardware and have a guitar that plays and sounds so close to a high priced Gibson that it would make the stockholders sad. Also, I'd take my family to Disney World with the difference in Gibson price and what I spent.

Besides which, I think most Epi Standards play well and sound pretty good anyway.

I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and was around when Fender and Gibson were the only game in town. They're not anymore and it's silly to presume that they are.

I have seen all kinds of guitars wear badly, suffer abuse and look like {censored}. I believe it's called relic'ing. :p

• Members
A: Gibson can make a great product.

B: I don't believe you have to pay Gibson prices to get Gibson quality.

If you want to pay top dollar for Gibson, PRS, et al. Go right ahead. Those are great guitars.

For me that would be a dreadful waste of money that would make me inconsolable. Even if I were to buy a Gibson, it would be used and at a giveaway price. I wouldn't mind owning one. I just don't think they're worth the money.

Before I'd buy a Gibson, I'd by the Epi, rewire it, add GFS pickups, mod the hardware and have a guitar that plays and sounds so close to a high priced Gibson that it would make the stockholders sad. Also, I'd take my family to Disney World with the difference in Gibson price and what I spent.

Besides which, I think most Epi Standards play well and sound pretty good anyway.

I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and was around when Fender and Gibson were the only game in town. They're not anymore and it's silly to presume that they are.

I have seen all kinds of guitars wear badly, suffer abuse and look like {censored}. I believe it's called relic'ing.
:p

Hooray for some sense!! For god's sake, it doesn't take much working out. Epis - only around

• Members

FWIW, I have had top-shelf electrics (a Fender 95 Am Std tele, 76 Custom Tele, 60-something Gibson LP jr). However, these days, with kids to send to college and a myriad of other expenses I have had to sell off all of my more expensive guitars. Right now, all of my electrics with one exception ($450 Gretsch Electromatic) cost less than $250 each (in most cases much less). So I do have some perspective. I can say that for folks like me (who either don't or only very occasionally play out) the cheaper guitars currently available (as well as some under-appreciated older models such as my Peavey T-30 - $150) do the job just fine with some minor annoyances. These are mostly related to cheaper pots and switches. In my experience, the really evident difference in quality is contained mostly in the electronics. These days, you can get a guitar that feels and plays just great for very little money. You just may have to get to know and love your soldering iron...

• Members

I have an Epi Standard that has a gorgeous birdseye maple top, plays well and sounds much better after a pickup swap. It is not, however, a Gibson and no matter how extensively I mod it to try to come close, it never will be. Someday, perhaps...

Oh, and I DID take the family to Disneyland....It rained all day and was a truly miserable experience....wet clothing, whiny kids and cranky wife....should have bought the Gibson:mad::mad::mad::mad: