Help with setup on my MIM Strat

Auslander

• Members

Thanks for everyone's posts in my NGD thread. I am still having a tuning issue, with all 6 strings consistently going flat on me. After doing some careful looking over of all of the components, I found that the bridge screws were not tightened down to the bridge:

DSCN3422.jpg

Everything I can find on Strat repair/setup shows these screws being used to help set the angle of the trem to the body, but in every illustration or pic I can find shows them screwed down flush. Do I need to tighten these down, or do I need to return this guitar?

TIA,

Chris

• Members

Go here:

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

The outer two screws should be flush. Middle 4 not flush (looks ok). This is for a floating trem which is standard setup.

If you just put new strings on you must stretch strings & retune several times. New strings stretch and go flat.

Stay with it. Don't give up and lock it down yet. Patience, Yago, patience.

• Members

do you use the trem?

how many springs are in it?

i've never seen the mounting screws raised like that. i'll have to double check but i think mine are all screwed all the way down. another thing you can do is screw the spring plate in the trem cavity all the way down/back. this will put more tension on the bridge and ensure it sits flush to the body. i usually use all 5 springs as well.

• Members

The Fender site is a great place to learn setups on strats & teles.

Check it out.

Unless there's something wrong with your guitar it should stay in reasonable tune even if you float the bridge. The back of the bridge should float about 1/8 inch off the body.

I use two springs only but everyone has their preference.

Having the two outside screws flush and inside four up a bit is recommended for if you want the bridge to float. Anyway it's all there at Fender.

Archived