Seth Lovers or Burstbuckers?

Hoddy

• Members

OK, I need ya'lls opinion...I think I'm going to change out the pups in my Edwards Les Paul...the Duncans (59 neck and JB bridge) are nice but I'm wanting something a bit more PAFish....so which do you think will get me closer...Seth Lovers or Burstbuckers...or any other recommendations would be appreciated... one thing though, I don't want to spend the high dollars that Wolfetones and other boutique pups cost...thanks!

• Members
SLs are more authentic, more painsakingly constructed and a helluva lot more expensive.

On ebay SLs aren't that much more expensive than Burstbuckers. I'm also considering Antiquities...I like the look of the aged covers.:cool:

• Members

Check out some of the lesser known manufacturers as well. People like Bryan at BG Pickups or Pete at Vintage Vibe. I have yet to hear something bad about their pickups or service, and their prices are very good for the quality you get.

But between those two, I'd vote for the Seth Lovers.

• Members

(From the Duncan site charts).....Compared to the 59' The Seth pup uses alnicoII magnets, not wax potted and has a bit less mids.

(imo) the Seth will be a bit more mellow than the 59' but also will be prone to feedback if you are playing to loud or with to much gain.

The Duncan 59 is considered a "PAF type" humbucker....What exactly is it about the 59' that you dont like?

• Members

Check out some of the lesser known manufacturers as well. People like Bryan at BG Pickups or Pete at Vintage Vibe. I have yet to hear something bad about their pickups or service, and their prices are very good for the quality you get.

But between those two, I'd vote for the Seth Lovers.

Bryan would get my nod, at the same $$$ you're already talking. Listen to his clips and tell me that they aren't killer.

• Members

I think the choice could also be between the Aniquities and the BBs, but then you might be tempted to change your bridge and TP to nickel.

But anyway, back OT.

I have all the BBs in 2 different LPs. The 1 & 2 in a CS '59 RI LP and the BB3 in the bridge of a LP Studio w BFG. Of those I'd say go with the BB1&2 in stead of a 2&3 combo unless you are looking for a hard rock or more metal tone. The 1&2 sound pretty smooth but the 3 is definitey sharper sounds best with higher gain and yields oodles of harmonic overtones. I would imagine though that the wood has something to do with that too with the difference I hear between the 2 & 3 since there's a big diff in the market $ between those 2 guitars.

And I have a set of Seth Lovers but I haven't installed them yet after a couple years :freak:. I was going to put them in my CSE '83 LP Studio, but I've since changed my mind and have left the guitar stock, and have decided that if I ever do change them out that the Antiquities would probably be a better choice since the Seth Lovers Anniversaries would be a bit too much bling on that 24 yo guitar. But I do remember reading a great review on all these different pups and it did give the nod to the Antiquites.

But I think given your two choices, I'd go with the BBs.

• Members

My Gibson Les Paul came with the 490r/498t humbuckers. The 490 in the neck was way too muddy for my taste so I put in a Seth Lover and the difference was dramatic - much clearer tone and better note articulation. I can't speak for the Burstbuckers, but the Seth Lover is a great pickup.

Archived