Adam Jones' guitar tone

docjeffrey

• Members

whoa whoa whoa ... even thinking about mentioning that the work danny carey does isn't exceptionally technical is flat out wrong. it's like an amazing release the few times he actually breaks out of some insane polyrhythm over odd time into straight four on the floor - like at the end of lateralus, for instance. he pushes and pulls the mood and feel of every track like no other drummer i've ever heard. i'm pretty sure dan is not human. the {censored} he pulls off never ceases to amaze me.

that said - tool is absolutely {censored}ing incredible live.

We have a winner. The band isn't that technical with the exception of Danny Carey who IS one of the greatest rock n roll drummers in the biz.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Saw them last Friday, and they do sound great live, but TOOL has to be the most boring live band to see ever IMHO. Adam barely moved 2 steps left or right the whole show and Maynard kept his back to the audience for the whole show with a few profile turns. They didn't play an encore, and they all looked very relieved to end the show 5 minutes early.

As for gear, Adam currently uses 2 Diezel VH4 heads (1 silver panel & 1 blue panel) both thru 2 Mesa oversized Recto 4X12 Cabs and 1 Marshall Super Bass (which is most likely modified due to all the extra labels added to the front panel) thru and old '70s Marshall 4X12.

Their tone was great, but as a live act, watching paint dry is much more exciting.

:o
:o

ummm...did you by any chance look up?? i think if tool danced around the stage and swished their hair around it would totally take away from their aesthetic.

• Members

Doc, it just seems incredibly bizarre imagining you at a Tool concert.
:D

I'm going again on Nov. 21. Got Pretty sweet seats. Those guys are freaky good musicians and artists. All that Fibonacci stuff is clever, although it borders on pretentious. I think that's a good description of Tool. They walk the tightrope between clever and pretentious.

They better do Aenima. It was missing from the setlist for awhile during their European tour. They didn't do Push It last time we saw them. That would be a nice addition.

• Members

my guitarist has a 79 silverburst , it slays all !!! Heavy ( weightwise) as hell and sounds like it. Tone for days. Seen Tool many times and they always rocked. The visuals are awesome, Kinda like Pink Floyd. If you want to see someone jumping up and down on stage go see someone else. Pretty damn hard to make those old silverbursts sound bad.

• Members

If you like 10,000 Days, you'll love the new set. Wings for Marie/10,000 Days builds to this frenzied, laser drenched sonic wonder that has to be heard in person to be believed. The bass sound is so tight--you can feel the speakers moving the air inside the arena.

Missing from the current set is Opiate, The Pot, Pu{censored}, and The Grudge, but they've kept 46 and 2, Aenima, Lateralis Stinkfist, etc. The show went for two hours exactly. I appreciate the fact that they don't go off stage and make the audience beg for an encore. I've noticed that a lot of bands are starting to do that.

Starting to? The encore thing has been the staple of rock shows for some years now. I don't particularly care for it, personally, and I like the few bands that are know not to do it.

PS: I really like Tool. Great band, good music, and as you said, they're good artists and musicians.

Archived