Anybody tried Lace Alumitones?

Cloacal-X

• Members

I just ordered a set of the single-coils today for one of my guitars because I'm done with EMGs but I'm still not convinced that what I want is a "vintage" sound. I really find the engineering behind them pretty interesting, and they've gotten great reviews.

Plus they just look freaking cool:

ALUMITONES%202.jpg

Any thoughts or experiences? I have to admit I'll be pretty bummed if they don't work out, especially considering I'll have to mod a $35 PG to accommodate them and I'm pretty sure their resale value sucks. In other words, they're basically keepers whether I like 'em or not!

• Members

Well, thanks for the replies thus far. Looks like they have not received broad market penetration with these yet. Hmm...anybody else?

It looks like it might be up to me to provide some clips with these things. I'm not a masterful player and I don't have a great recording rig (I've got Amplitube 2 though!), but I'll try to do my best to showcase these pickups. :)

I'm pretty sure I'll love 'em at first (with these niche products, it's hard not to for me), I just hope they're endearing enough to have staying power.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Reviving an old thread :)

There are good reviews for the alumitones here http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/product/Lace+Music+Products/AlumiTone/10/1

And I just bought a MIM with alumitones installed it, pick it over an American Standard because it handled nice and just sounded better in the store.

How did yours work out?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've got 3 alumitone SCs in my strat and love them. I've never really been a fan of active pups and for me these are a good compromise. Before getting my own I played my friend's 70s strat and although a mine is a bit different it still undoubtedly sounds like a strat, usual in-between quack etc, and noiseless! My only gripe is nothing to do with the quality of the pups or sound, I just can't get into SCs in the bridge (other geetar is more LP style) so may well modify it for a HB. If I do I'll be sticking with an Alumitone though.

Archived