Request for comments on my song

philbo

• Members

There's a lot of reverb floating around in there... I'm not anti-verb, but if you use it on too many things it can make it sound like the band is playing from the back of a cave. Which is sometimes you want but not always.

Reverb is a very powerful tool, it can help you blend things together, it can help give depth of field illusion, and using on some instruments can help push other instruments forward... but too much and it can really cut down on intimacy.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

There's a lot of reverb floating around in there... I'm not anti-verb, but if you use it on too many things it can make it sound like the band is playing from the back of a cave. Which is
sometimes
you want but not always.

Reverb is a very powerful tool, it can help you blend things together, it can help give depth of field illusion, and using on some instruments can help push other instruments forward... but too much and it can really cut down on intimacy.

Thanks for the input. The 'verb at the end (on the vocal harmonies) was intentional - - I used automation to crank it up.

But throughout the rest, I was rather wondering if I was over-doing it...

• Members

nice California type vibe, I listen to chord changes and lyrics, A lot of the recording nuances are lost on me...that's one of the reasons I am a forumite on this site...I'm here to learn as much as I can from guys like Blue2Blue and others who are versed in recording as well as being musicians as well... SPIN... since this is like your third post on this site, why make it a sarcastic one ?(who calls it 'verb?) You are probably a decent guy and a musician too so... read and listen Grasshopper.

• Members

Originally posted by ronnie rawhide

nice California type vibe, I listen to chord changes and lyrics, A lot of the recording nuances are lost on me...that's one of the reasons I am a forumite on this site...I'm here to learn as much as I can from guys like Blue2Blue and others who are versed in recording as well as being musicians as well... SPIN... since this is like your third post on this site, why make it a sarcastic one ?(who calls it 'verb?) You are probably a decent guy and a musician too so... read and listen Grasshopper.

Well...

Thanks for listening, I appreciate it, and I appreciate your comments.

I'm especially fond of this song, both because of the chord progression, and because it's about a beautiful schizophrenic girl I used to date.

BTW, (a little OT rant time) that myspace page is completely hosed. (can't log in, can't delete, song counter doesn't work, nor does anything else) and their support dept. has successfully ignored every email I've sent to them. I am completely amazed at their underwhelming support. I guess that song will be up there forever, since I can't do anything else.... meanwhile I'll hunt for a music hosting site that doesn't completely suck donkey balls like myspace does.

Archived