Peavey Classic 30 vs. Fender Blues Deluxe

book_of_lies777

• Members

Depends where you plan on using it, playing out, jamming with a drummer? I would go with the Peavey, it's cheaper and you can get these for a steal used, I know you said you don't liked used equipment but why not? For 300-350 you can get a peavey - that leaves 300 hundo in your pocket! For home use I would not go with either, I would go with 15 watts max

• Members

geez... GC was a freakin' zoo today... I should've known better than to go on a weekend. :rolleyes: there was this kid that had to be about 9-10 years old, and he was shredding like Dave Mustaine or somebody! There were literally people gathered around him going 'holy shit!' :lol:

I didn't get to play the Classic 30, but I did get to play the Fender - WOW, talk about LOUD! :eek: I think I seriously underestimated it's volume... I jammed thru it with a USA Strat, and it was tits :love: the feel & punchiness was fantastic, but I doubt I'd ever break in the speaker! :lol:

Maybe I should go with something a little smaller... maybe a Blues Junior?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Jr.-NOS-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Lacquer-Tweed-with-Jensen-Speakers?sku=483711

• Members

I didn't get to play the Classic 30, but I did get to play the Fender - WOW, talk about LOUD!
:eek:
I think I seriously underestimated it's volume... I jammed thru it with a USA Strat, and it was tits
:love:
the feel & punchiness was fantastic, but I doubt I'd ever break in the speaker!
:lol:

Maybe I should go with something a little smaller... maybe a Blues Junior?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Jr.-NOS-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-Lacquer-Tweed-with-Jensen-Speakers?sku=483711

The Blues Junior is not a bad little amp for the price, but the small cab makes it sound very boxy. It just doesn't have the rich bass you get from other combos with a bigger cab. My Peavey Classic 20 has the same problem. The Tweed NOS Blues Jr. version does sound a lot better than the regular one though. But that price you're getting awfully close to a used DRRI. If you hunt a bit you could snag one for $550-$600. I've played the NOS Blues Jr. and the DRRI side by side and hands down the DRRI is just a better sounding amp in every way...a bit more headroom, better reverb, bigger cab and richer bass, better natural overdrive. When the Blues Jr. is pushed to powertube overdrive it sounds a bit ratty and fuzzy IMO. The DRRI stays crisp and clear. It just doesn't have a master volume. But with a good OD pedal you are in cleans/blues/classic rock heaven. I don't use the vibrato on mine either, but the amp is still a really good deal even ignoring it.

The Vox AC15CC is another good sounding amp in the price range, I believe it is $600 new.

The Fender Hot Rods have a really bad volume taper so you get like 50% of the max volume when the volume knobs on two...it really sucks. I would assume you can replace that with a different pot and fix it.

The Classics are the most rock oriented out of the bunch. Check out this clip I did for the HCEG Jam a few months back...the leads are my Classic 20 with my G&L. I think I'm slamming the front of the amp with my Fulltone OCD. Playing's not my best, but I think it sounds pretty ballsy for a single coil Strat.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=702186&songID=5494418

• Members

Hrmm... I tend to play clean or clean with a very slight edge of breakup. Stock for stock, I'd rather have the Blues Deluxe. I've only played stock Fenders vs stock Classics and a handful of modded Peaveys. I know some folks get great tones out of the Blue Marvel speaker but I think it definitely holds the Peavey amps back. I have a Peavey Prowler which I'd say is about halfway between the Classic and the Valveking. I've replaced the Blue Marvel with a Celestion Relic 30 which is VERY similar to the Vintage 30. I also replaced the power tubes with Svetlana Reds and the V1 preamp tube with a Groove Tubes Gold AT7 for lower overall gain. I have a friend that has a stock Classic 30. Overall, we both agree that the modded Prowler sounds better for most things than the stock Classic 30. Of course, I'm sure the Classic 30 with a replacement speaker (and maybe upgraded tubes) would sound 'better' overall than the modded Prowler.

I will say that for whatever reason, the Fender sound much louder than the Peavey.

So overall, I guess my opinion is that I'd prefer a stock Blues Deluxe over a stock Classic 30, but probably a slightly modded Classic 30 over a stock Blues Deluxe.

• Members

Remember that thread a while back with the Ain't Talkin' About Love cover? Remember when Prages posted his clip up? Remember how amazing that sounded? That was a Classic 30. No pedals, that was the overdrive you can get from it. So let's put it this way:

If the bigger, the better, then cleans would be:

Fender>Peavey

Overdrive Tones:

Peavey>Fender

Archived