SG Replicas and Mods

Slim Jim

• Members

I spend most of my time over at HCAF... but I'd really appreciate your help on this one.

I'm really gassing for an SG.

I like the neck of the classic more than the standard, but the looks of the standard more than the classic.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I prefer humbuckers to p-90's.

If I went after the Classic, how much do you think it'd cost to change out the p-90's to humbuckers?

Should I just go after the 61 reissue instead?

I preferred that neck over the standard too.

Or should I just screw it and go after a replica by like Orville or Edwards?

Eventually I also wanna put a tremolo on it like the Angus Young SG.

Any suggestions guys?

I'm in a quandry here.

I appreciate it.

• Members

i'd say go for the 61 reissue. You can't JUST replace the p90s with humbuckers as far as i know without some routing and well its just not worth all the trouble.

Perhaps go the edwards path to save some money and get the long neck tenon.

• Members

i'd say go for the 61 reissue. You can't JUST replace the p90s with humbuckers as far as i know without some routing and well its just not worth all the trouble.

Perhaps go the edwards path to save some money and get the long neck tenon.

I believe you are right about the Classic's routing.

Mini humbuckers would fit. DiMarzio sells some of their humbucker models in a p-90 "soapbar" type housing. The tone zone model and the Super Distortion model.

• Members

I spend most of my time over at HCAF... but I'd really appreciate your help on this one.

I'm really gassing for an SG.

I like the neck of the classic more than the standard, but the looks of the standard more than the classic.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I prefer humbuckers to p-90's.

If I went after the Classic, how much do you think it'd cost to change out the p-90's to humbuckers?

Should I just go after the 61 reissue instead?

I preferred that neck over the standard too.

Or should I just screw it and go after a replica by like Orville or Edwards?

Eventually I also wanna put a tremolo on it like the Angus Young SG.

Any suggestions guys?

I'm in a quandry here.

I appreciate it.

You could always hunt down a used "players" faded SG for dirt cheap. Have the neck shaved to your liking and add a trem to it. That would prol' save you a chunk of change all teh way around.

• Members

You could always hunt down a used "players" faded SG for dirt cheap. Have the neck shaved to your liking and add a trem to it. That would prol' save you a chunk of change all teh way around.

You can have a neck shaved to your liking?

WTF.

I did not know this.

That might work for the standard too..

Thanks

• Members

I think that Gibson makes better SG's than Les Pauls - the line of USA-made SG's is pretty good imo, and the price/feature gap between Gibson USA and Japanese replicas appears (to me) to be pretty small/insignificant compared the with Les Pauls. In the case of the Les Pauls there are actual construction differences (top carve, neck tenon, solid bodies) and several hundred-dollar price differences, but SG's are (at least I think) made pretty much the same all around and not too far apart in price.

• Members
Let's pretend I don't know what a long neck tenon is, would you be able to explain to me?

And are you recommending Edwards over Orville and Epi Elitists and the likes for SGs?

Here's a good picture showing a long vs. short neck tenon.:
Longtenon-shorttenon1.jpg

When there's a long neck tenon, the neck pocket is extended to under the neck pickup and the tenon is fitted in (like a puzzle). It adds more stability and more sustain (more wood-on-wood contact).

Archived