Fret level question

scolfax

• Members

On my new Warmoth neck I can't get the action as low as I'd like by adjusting the neck and trem, so I'm taking the guitar in for a fret level & crown.

I've been reading two books about guitar setups, and they have case-studies on professional guitarists axes. Eric Johnson, for example, likes his necks with "no relief".

Does the amount of relief at the time of the fret level matter? I assume the level is done with the neck under string tension with potentially some relief. Is the level "fixed" to the amount of relief in the neck at the time it's leveled?

I'm thinking that the worst case may be that my tech thinks that the neck needs a little relief, and if I want less later then it won't be possible.

Does this question make sense? I'm not new to getting guitars setup, but I'm new to doing it myself, so I'm starting to pay attention to things I never have before.

• Members

Ideally the fingerboard should be straight when the frets are leveled, which will result in the frets being the same height when measured from the fingerboard.

+1 correct

FWIW, I set my necks up with as little relief as possible

Archived