Let's protest Pluto's demotion!

• Members

PLUTO HAS BEEN DEMOLISHED????? OMG!!! NO WAI!!!! WHAT EVIL GALACTIC WARLORD WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT?!?!? (Not Bush's fault because we simply don't have the technology!!) SO THIS MEANS THE NASA PROBE TO PLUTO HAS BEEN CANCELLED?!?!

Oh wait... "demotion." Haha. I get it.

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

In a way, Pluto has been promoted rather than demoted, with similar kuiper belt objects now classified as "Plutons."

-plb

Correction:

The astronomers were lobying for the entire class of Pluto-like icy objects orbiting the sun to be called "Plutons" in honor of Pluto. However, because the word is already defined in geology as something else (magma) the geologists blocked its use in astronomy. Therefore the new class of Pluto-like mini-planets are currently being called "dwarf planets" but the name will likely change to something else.

As one scientist argued, a dwarf human is still a human, so how can a dwarf planet not still be a planet?

-plb

• Members
Originally posted by Lee Flier

No, but that was an actual conceptual error, not just a name change. It's not like we suddenly discovered anything new about the behavior of Pluto, we just changed what we call it. After years of arguing over it. Whatever.
:bor:

Actually, it was a conceptual error. Neil Tyson was the first to publicize the conceptual errors under which we considered Pluto a planet (and describes his subsequent life as a living hell, receiving hate mail from elementary school children around the globe!)

However, the reclassification comes from an enhanced understanding of what Pluto is and isn't as well as what else is out there. The fundamental debate boiled down to science vs. culture.

-plb

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

Neil Tyson was the first to publicize the conceptual errors under which we considered Pluto a planet (and describes his subsequent life as a living hell, receiving hate mail from elementary school children around the globe!)

Oh, poor Neil Tyson.

Meanwhile, 94-year-old Patricia Tombaugh, the widow of the man who discovered Pluto, has to live with the fact that her husband's legacy was declared virtually meaningless.

Really, I think Pluto has more in common with the other little planets (the insignificant ones like Mercury, Venus, and Earth) than those four big-ass balls of gas that pass for planets out there.

I say that Jupiter is not a planet! Ha! How do you like that, Jupiter! You're just a star that was too small to ignite. And now look at you! Worthless! And screw you, Saturn! You and your pretty little rings!

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

Meanwhile, 94-year-old Patricia Tombaugh, the widow of the man who discovered Pluto, has to live with the fact that her husband's legacy was declared virtually meaningless.

I'm more comfortable declaring her a planet if it will make her feel better, then preserving her husband's legacy.

Really, I think Pluto has more in common with the other little planets (the insignificant ones like Mercury, Venus, and Earth) than those four big-ass balls of gas that pass for planets out there.

If it weren't for those 4 big-ass balls of gas, life on Earth would not exist. It's precisely because they are able to control objects in their vicinity (the most esoteric part of the new definition of "planet") that Earth is shielded from life-destorying bombardment.

I say that Jupiter is not a planet! Ha! How do you like that, Jupiter!

Without Jupiter, there would be no weasals. In fact, in the search for life in other solar systems, one prerequisite is almost certainly a huge planet like Jupiter whose gravity is able to shield a smaller planet like Earth from the sort of bombardment that would continuously derail evolution.

-plb

• Members

(Ignoring logical dicussion by Blips)

And another thing: Jupiter is a planet killer! That's right. There was probably a TENTH planet, some nice little lump of matter, between Mars and Jupiter, at some point.

But Jupiter just had to be the big planet! It couldn't handle another planet in its vicinity. So it murdered it in cold blood! Or, sucked it into its gravity well, or something like that. Broke it up into a million pieces, many of which are now these little asteroids like Gaspra and Ida.

Again, I think Jupiter is bitter and spends eternity with a planetary Napoleon complex. It could have been a star, but instead it's just a pissed-off bunch of hydrogen and helium. Jupiter is dead to me! Long live Pluto!

- Jeff

• Members

(Ignoring logical dicussion by Blips)

And another thing: Jupiter is a planet killer! That's right. There was probably a TENTH planet, some nice little lump of matter, between Mars and Jupiter, at some point.

But Jupiter just had to be the big planet! It couldn't handle another planet in its vicinity. So it murdered it in cold blood! Or, sucked it into its gravity well, or something like that. Broke it up into a million pieces, many of which are now these little asteroids like Gaspra and Ida.

Again, I think Jupiter is bitter and spends eternity with a planetary Napoleon complex. It could have been a star, but instead it's just a pissed-off bunch of hydrogen and helium. Jupiter is dead to me! Long live Pluto!

- Jeff

Just take a deep breath and back away from the telescope.

By the way, a handful of Tombaugh's ashes are hurtling toward Pluto on the New Horizons spacecraft. When he left Earth, his destination was a planet. When he gets there in 2015, he's going to learn some disappointing news.

"Hey, in your dating profile it said you were a planet! Do you know how far I drove?"

Deef

• Members
Originally posted by Deef

"Hey, in your dating profile it said you were a planet! Do you know how far I drove?"

:D

You know, there's no saying that in another 173 years or whatever, a different group of scientists might say that these scientists were wrong, and rightfully restore Pluto to its former stature.

Science isn't an exact science, you know.

- Jeff

• Members
Originally posted by Magpel

My favorite rule of thumb (anyone know the dark origins of that expression?)

"For more than two centuries there have been references in legal works to the idea that a man may legally beat his wife, provided that he used a stick no thicker than his thumb" :confused::freak:
Bear

Archived