I'm trying to learn the blues! (video)

freemusicno34

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't really know jump blues, and I guess I listen to some west coast blues but I'm not that good at identifying subgenres of blues...

Yeah I'm not planning on abandoning my jazz playing, it's still my favorite style to listen to and to play, but blues is really fun and I wanna get better at it. Glad you liked it :thu:

And sorry about the backing tracks on the blues vids, if I turned it up too much more the crappy mic on my computer starts to clip and sound rally bad. I'll try to set it up a bit better next time though

• Members

I don't get it. your jazz stuff was amazing!!! and those blues clips.... beh. I really don't understand why you can't play the god damn blues licks! :)

only suggestion I can give is, master the bend and vibrato like a real blues man. I think that's the expressiveness other guy was talking about. oh, and give some pauses between phrases.

maybe you can recommend the blues guys here a way to start playing some JAZZ!! I sure wanna learn to play jazz like you.

good stuff!:thu:

• Members

I guess my blues gets a lot of mixed reviews haha. I'll record something new and put just a bit more time into it instead of just one take through, see if it sounds better. Also one thing to remember is I'm using backing tracks, so the group can't respond to my playing like it should.

Also idk but that Clapton clip...eh, not bad but his fast licks just kinda sucked.

• Members

Blues is a very personal thing. I think it's something a lot of people do an okay job at faking because they know their way around a guitar. There's a lot of famous and accomplished musicians that I put in this catagory.

Being able to play with soul and emotion is something else entirely. I'm not saying you got to go pick cotton in the Mississippi Delta or have your old lady leave you for your brother to play the blues. You just got to find that place in you and bring it out in your playing. When you do, how technical you are, how many notes you play or don't play don't matter, because your expressing your emotions. There's a reason why a whole generation of guitarists were able to be so expressive with 5 notes.

I'm just a honky in the suburbs though, what do I know :)

• Members

FreeMusic,

First I am new on guitar, but I am a formally trained musician. I studied Music Theory, Music Composition at UW Madison.

I would say listen to suggestions, but don't loose who you are. In classical music - musicians aim for one type of sound as an ideal to strive for, in jazz - musicians pride themselves on not sounding like anyone else ("nobody sounds like me on Tenor sax"). I guess rock is closer to jazz that way.

I mean I liked it. I am drawn to double and triple string stuff, and blues scales - so I liked it. Keep at it.

- W

• Members

First let me say, you're a much better player than I am, and I thought your Jazz clip was great. Your Blues tho seemed tight. I think the guys telling you to go for more emotion are right. Don't worry so much about technique as much as letting the guitar express your feelings. Listen to Jimi Hendrix play the Blues, he would even get kinda sloppy, but man could he come across with it. Let it flow thru ya just a little more.

• Members

You look familiar. So does your left hand. Did you sit in at a blues jam in Maryland two or three weeks ago?

Nope, not me

Thanks again for all the comments. Also, I understand the emotional aspect of blues, but keep in mind I am sitting awkwardly in front of a computer in my dorm filming myself, playing along with a decent but stale backing track. So it's hard to completely lay out all my emotions in this kinda setting. But I understand that blues is really about letting the soul talk (actually so is jazz, even though a lot of people don't realize it. just another way of expressing oneself)

• Members

Good start lot's of good things in there.

Your rig doesn't cover it all , I can imagine if you tried to hold a note for a

measure + , it would sound like ass, might add something like a tube screamer to stomp on for occasional stretched notes.

You're wondering out of key into irrelevant notes from time to time,which is to be expected.

Dexterity is very good.

You seem to be adding a little bit of sweeping into your playing , that's good but don't get too carried away with it (don't over do it).

Contrary to what I've read in the responses , you are giving a little breathe here and there, just might try to vary the riffage, and for sure steal all the phrases you can from the masters and learn how to use them, then as you progress you'll naturally embellish on them so all of us noobies can start stealing from you.......:thu::thu:

Tear it up man :)

:wave:

• Members

Yeah, I have nice guitars although not many (especially compared to a lot of you guys), but besides that my equipment is kinda lacking. First things first, I'm looking for delay and reverb pedals (not for blues), but after that I need some compression, a different overdrive/boost, the list goes on...

Also if you don't mind, could you point out some of the irrelevant notes? I'm not saying that I didn't have any, I'd just like to know where they are so I can work to get rid of em. Since my main style of music is jazz, my concept of irrelevant notes can sometimes be a bit different :p. I definitely focused on not adding jazzy stuff to my playing, as I'm trying to get better at blues, but sometimes it just slips through

• Members

Yeah, I have nice guitars although not many (especially compared to a lot of you guys), but besides that my equipment is kinda lacking. First things first, I'm looking for delay and reverb pedals (not for blues), but after that I need some compression, a different overdrive/boost, the list goes on...

How do you like your Valve Standard? I've been thinking about getting one of those. I've got a Valve Special I've come to love.

• Members

How do you like your Valve Standard? I've been thinking about getting one of those. I've got a Valve Special I've come to love.

I like it, although I almost never actually crank the gain to get any kind of breakup out of it. The clean tone is darker than, say, a Fender amp, but that's what I like. With my Hollow T Classic (tele-style guitar) on the neck pup that thing gets a damn good jazz tone. And I think it works really well with pedals, though I've only tried a few so maybe I just got lucky. Running my guitar-->tonebone-->valve standard can really get a LOT of excellent distorted tones. Although that might be mroe the Tonebone than the amp, since it is a very good and versatile distortion pedal

• Members

I didn't listen to all the clips yet, but I listened to the Freddy king clip. The part that irked me was the use of the dom 7 to maj 7 thingy always at the end of a bar. Try throwing it in in the middle of a run every now and then so you don't have as much dissonance. I say dissonance because the backing track was very distant, so you could hear the clash of minor and major.

Archived