Classical music can be so boring

Han

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here the latest CD's I bought:

"Musica Callanda"

Frederico Mompou (1893-1097), performed by the composer live in Alicante Spain. Great!

"Impresiones intimas"

Frederico Mompou (1893-1097), performed by the composer live in Alicante Spain. WOW!

"Landscapes and Seascapes"

"Chromatic Nocturne"

"The Old CVountry House"

Charles Koechlin (1867-1950) recorded for the first time by American pianist Deborah Richards. Fabulous!

"Pr

• Members

I once attended a college in NYS that had a surprisingly good music program owing to the number of fine musicians wanting to be close enough to the City that they could get there in a reasonable amount of time but also preferred a rural environment for their living situation.

I asked one why it was that Stockhausen or Penderecki was never performed by the local orchestra, one that had gone so far as to have an evening of Ives, and the response was, "no one wants to learn the material". The message I got back was that the time it would take to learn the newer, more challenging material, then rehearse it, would not be cost effective. I asked further if that was why the standards like Tchaikovsky or Brahms was on every program and was told that it was because they all knew that material and could play it with little preparation.

So, there you have it - economics and apathy determining what serious music is performed in public. Sounds like Union hacks to me.

• Members

I once attended a college in NYS that had a surprisingly good music program owing to the number of fine musicians wanting to be close enough to the City that they could get there in a reasonable amount of time but also preferred a rural environment for their living situation.

I asked one why it was that Stockhausen or Penderecki was never performed by the local orchestra, one that had gone so far as to have an evening of Ives, and the response was, "no one wants to learn the material". The message I got back was that the time it would take to learn the newer, more challenging material, then rehearse it, would not be cost effective. I asked further if that was why the standards like Tchaikovsky or Brahms was on every program and was told that it was because they all knew that material and could play it with little preparation.

So, there you have it - economics and apathy determining what serious music is performed in public. Sounds like Union hacks to me.

I can't think of a single orchestra that I have played in, and there have been quite a few, where the programming was determined by the players. It's far more likely that the conductor didn't want to learn the material, or management didn't want to pay for the (possibly) extra rehearsals. Also, Ives is fairly well known and well received, and quite likely gives the ticket holders their fill of "modernity" for at least a while. The buying public for the most part likes the more easily digested fare. Most of us that play would actually prefer to do newer, less familiar material. I'm not real fond of tone rows, but I'd prefer to learn and play that than take another trip through Beethoven 7.

Archived