I hate the pickups in my MIM Classic 50's Strat!

Misha III

• Members

I'm spoiled with my USA Telecaster and can't stand the noisy (No noise cancelling at positions 2 -4) pickups in the Strat. They don't sound too good either!

What should I put in there?

Is it going to sound "almost" as good as a MIA Stratocaster or Deluxe MIA Stratocaster?

Can I do better than Fender Fat 50's Strat pickups?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Fat-50s-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301613

Any suggestions?

Also, since I know nothing about pickups... are those pickups meant to be "noise cancelling" at positions 2 - 4??? :confused:

• Members

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Fat-50s-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301613

Any suggestions?

Also, since I know nothing about pickups... are those pickups meant to be "noise cancelling" at positions 2 - 4???
:confused:

No.

Funny, I really like them in mine and I've got a few MIA strats in my collection to compare them too.

I bought a set of Fender Fat 50s fully intending to put them in upon arrival of the Classic 50s strat, but haven't felt a need to do the swap so far.

What is it about the tone you're not liking?

• Members

What sort of tones are you looking for? The 57/62 pickups in the 50's Player Classic Strat are aiming for that chimey bell tone (think Buddy Holly, The Smiths' "Boy With the Thorn in His Side"). Is that the sound you want? What Strat players do you like?

- What's your budget? Can you afford PU's from boutique guys like Fralin or Kinman? Or is Seymour Duncan,GFS or DiMarzio closer to what you can afford?

We need a LOT more information before we can offer you suggestions. And yes, with the right pickup, your CP Strat could sound better than your stock Fender Tele.

P.S.- You pointed out the major screw-up in the 50's CP Strat: the 2nd position is actually the bridge + neck pickup together, neither of which are reverse-wound. The designer should have reverse-wound the bridge pickup.

• Members

I like the cleans. It handles a bit of overdrive well but I don't like the tone that I get when I try to put more distortion. I don't play any heavy metal stuff. But I would like to be able to get a more nasty tone like in "Money for nothing" or "Life's been good", etc...

By the way, sorry for my "Engrish", my first language is French!

• Members

What sort of tones are you looking for? The 57/62 pickups in the 50's Player Classic Strat are aiming for that chimey bell tone (think Buddy Holly, The Smiths' "Boy With the Thorn in His Side"). Is that the sound you want? What Strat players do you like?

Maybe I want too much from the same guitar! I want something with good cleans but I love SRV, Jimi Hendrix... almost anything blues, jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, etc...

- What's your budget? Can you afford PU's from boutique guys like Fralin or Kinman? Or is Seymour Duncan,GFS or DiMarzio closer to what you can afford?

I don't care too much for the price. If 300$ instead of 150$ is going to make me love my guitar , I'll go for it.

We need a LOT more information before we can offer you suggestions. And yes, with the right pickup, your CP Strat could sound better than your stock Fender Tele.

I really like the shape, the neck, the color, etc of my Classic 50's Strat... it's 1- the noise 2 - the quality of the sound that annoy me!

List of my gears:

Fender Blues Jr

Vox AD50VT

Fender Frontman 15R

Vox Tonelab

Seymour Duncan Classic Twin Tube

Beta Aivin Distortion pedal // copy of boss

Beta Aivin Stereo chorus pedal // copy of boss

Beta Aivin Digital delay pedal // copy of boss

Swamp Overdrive pedal :)

Swamp Compressor pedal :)

It should sound good with all those things... For now, I like my Vintage modified Tele more!

P.S.- You pointed out the major screw-up in the 50's CP Strat: the 2nd position is actually the bridge + neck pickup together, neither of which are reverse-wound. The designer should have reverse-wound the bridge pickup.

It is going to be fixed with a pickups swap!

• Members

I would like to be able to get a more nasty tone like in "Money for nothing"

Money For Nothing was a Les Paul, so that might be harder to achieve ...

I hated the pickups on mine, too: they were harsh, coarse and shrill. In other words, they sounded the way people who don't like Strats think all Strats sound. Ended up with a set of Kinman AVn Blues pickups, and very nice they were too.

(Still selling the guitar, tho'. Something better needs financing.)

• Members

I like the cleans. It handles a bit of overdrive well but I don't like the tone that I get when I try to put more distortion. I don't play any heavy metal stuff. But I would like to be able to get a more nasty tone like in "Money for nothing" or "Life's been good", etc...

By the way, sorry for my "Engrish", my first language is French!

Il n'y'a aucun raison pour faire vos excuses pour votre anglais. J'esperai que mon francais sera-t-il aussi bon que votre anglais quelque jour.

• Members
I'm spoiled with my USA Telecaster and can't stand the noisy (No noise cancelling at positions 2 -4) pickups in the Strat. They don't sound too good either!

Is it going to sound "almost" as good as a MIA Stratocaster or Deluxe MIA Stratocaster?

Any suggestions?

Also, since I know nothing about pickups... are those pickups meant to be "noise cancelling" at positions 2 - 4???
:confused:

I put Fat 50's in my MIM Strat years ago, they sounded great! (guitar has been long gone) That

• Members

Hi CSM!

Money For Nothing was a Les Paul, so that might be harder to achieve ...

Yes, I know... that's why I think I'm maybe asking too much from the guitar!

I hated the pickups on mine, too: they were
harsh, coarse and shrill
. In other words, they sounded the way people who don't like Strats think all Strats sound. Ended up with a set of Kinman AVn Blues pickups, and very nice they were too.

(Still selling the guitar, tho'. Something better needs financing.)

Harsh, coarse and shrill: oh yeah! :cry:

I think the lutherie is fine on the guitar so a pickups swap should be ok but a part of me thinks that I should sell it and get a MIA deluxe (Fat ?) Strat instead! (???)

I'll take a look at those Kinman Avn Blues pickups though!

Thanks for the information!

• Members

I intend to buy the pickups in a local shop.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will print the thread before I go shopping! I'll see what is available in Montreal! (No problem for the big names. GFS or BG Pups though... not sure I could get these!)

Archived