I didn't buy the LP, but...

_pete_

• Members

I was very, very close to pulling the trigger on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170171726412&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

I decided to not spend the money (Christmas and all that) but I did decide to do a little work to my 2 Strats.

The blue MIJ Strat has an awesome neck, a perfect Floyd, and killer sounding pups. The color is cool but it's the wrong look for my tribute band.

My white Strat is great too but the Mighty Mite neck is not my favorite neck. It's ok but it's a bit small.

I stopped at a local store today and found a mint (really mint) 60th Anniversary Chrome Red HH Mexi Strat. This guitar still had the plastic on the rear cover and not one scratch anywhere. The neck felt great. I like the bigger frets on the newer MIM's.

I got it for $275. I think it's a great price since the guitar is essentially brand new.

I'm going to use the neck for the white Strat (it's almost ready to install right now) and the red body for the blue Strat.

I have an extra mirror pickguard and every other part needed from when I built this Strat:

DSCN2070.jpg

This one will look just like it except it will have a black, open coil bridge pup.

I need to rout it for the Floyd and the pickup switch.

The black HH wired pickguard from the new Mexi Strat will be in the SPAM thread soon along with the bridge (new type with steel block).

Pics in next post.

• Members

Hey Pete. Dont "fret" it. Dont know if it would have mattered too you or not but that might not be a MIJ Burny. Ive seen quite a few of those that have been misrepresented whether intentional or unintentional. I know the newer MIJ also have the 3 screw on the truss cover but usually the covers on the back of the MIJ are black as opposed to the white on that particular one. Like I said I dont know if it would have mattered, as for me if im buying a Burny, Orville ,etc I always make 100% sure (especially with the newer ones) that they are what they're advertised as. As far as Burny's, I know you speak very highly of your Edwards (I also have one and love it). The Burnys are every bit as nice and dare I say it. I actually prefer my older Burny Les paul custom a bit over my Edwards. Both very fine though. Heres a pic to fuel some future gas for ya!DSC01324.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Pete I thought a week or so ago you had come to the stark realization that you were an LP guy? And now you buy another Strat? Shame on you. I know. I understand. I do the same thing:wave:

Well I wanted to get another LP but just can't spend the money right now so I decided to spruce up the Strats to get me by for now.

This guitar was just bought to be a donor/parts guitar. I never was crazy about the white Strat's neck and I wanted a new look for the other Strat. This kills two birds and I have a bunch of other parts to sell off now.

I got the new neck on the white Strat this morning and it plays great. The nut is cut too high (why can't manufacturers cut a nut right?) but I'll put a Tusq nut on it anyway.

I'll take the router to the red body in a few days.

• Members

Does that red strat belong to Alex Leifson? Is it the hentor barbarian?

No, it's a replica of Alex's red Strat though. I built that one for someone.

I had built another like it previously but sold it. The one I'm building now will be my third one.

The Hentor Sportscaster was the nickname of Alex's white Strat. I built a replica of that one too. The pic of it is in my sig.

"Hentor" was the nickname of the band's producer, Peter Henderson" at the time Alex was playing Strats.

Archived