500k pots on my Lite Ash Strat?

AlexMC

• Members

I've always felt that my Lite Ash Strat is a little too bright and brittle for my tastes.... I had put that down to the maple fingerboard. But today I removed the scratchplate to move the middle tone control to the bridge and I noticed that the volume and tone pots were all 500k rated.

I thought single coil pickups were best matched with 250k pots? Would I get a more woody, mellow sound if I swapped for 3 x 250k?

• Members

I feel the exact same way about my Lite Ash.

Ash is just a bright wood, I don't know why the put the 500k's in there.

Probably just standard practice in Korea.

I've toyed around with putting new Pup's in mine, but it doesn't get played enough to bother.

I'm just not a strat guy, I guess

• Members

I've always felt that my Lite Ash Strat is a little too bright and brittle for my tastes.... I had put that down to the maple fingerboard. But today I removed the scratchplate to move the middle tone control to the bridge and I noticed that the volume and tone pots were all 500k rated.

I thought single coil pickups were best matched with 250k pots? Would I get a more woody, mellow sound if I swapped for 3 x 250k?

250K is def' the "standard" for at least the volume pot. I am surprised that they have 500K's in there. You would def' get a less bright tone with a 250k.

Archived