Ever feel like you've found "the one"?

Timmott

• Members

So have you ever felt like you've found the only guitar you'll ever need? After getting my new Dean Hardtail I feel like I cant justify owning any of the other guitars I have. I havent even looked at them since I got this thing, and soon I'm dropping close to $300 on fixing one of them up. The Dean just plays and sounds so good that I feel like my other guitars are just going to collect dust.

I almost feel bad about it, to the point where I'm thinking about selling all my other guitars and investing in something else. Anyone else ever feel like that? Am I crazy for thinking this way? Anyone wanna buy some guitars? (:p)

• Members
So have you ever felt like you've found the only guitar you'll ever need? After getting my new Dean Hardtail I feel like I cant justify owning any of the other guitars I have. I havent even looked at them since I got this thing, and soon I'm dropping close to $300 on fixing one of them up. The Dean just plays and sounds so good that I feel like my other guitars are just going to collect dust.

I almost feel bad about it, to the point where I'm thinking about selling all my other guitars and investing in something else. Anyone else ever feel like that? Am I crazy for thinking this way? Anyone wanna buy some guitars? (
:p
)

(laughing) see I told ya so :lol:

• Members
(laughing) see I told ya so
:lol:

You were right! The thing sounds so good and plays great, stays in tune like a beast as well. The pickups really do sound almost identical to the JB/59 combo in my old LTD Deluxe.

I still dont know if I should sell my other guitars though. I'm thinking about selling off whatever I dont really need, then just buying one more great guitar or amp. The only trouble is choosing which need to go :cry:.

• Members
You were right! The thing sounds so good and plays great, stays in tune like a beast as well. The pickups really do sound almost identical to the JB/59 combo in my old LTD Deluxe.

I still dont know if I should sell my other guitars though. I'm thinking about selling off whatever I dont really need, then just buying one more great guitar or amp. The only trouble is choosing which need to go
:cry:

was yours an American one or an import... see I really like the look of them but I can only afford (well... not really afford but...) the import and I haven't tried the American one yet... and they are MUCH more expensive here.

• Members
was yours an American one or an import... see I really like the look of them but I can only afford (well... not really afford but...) the import and I haven't tried the American one yet... and they are MUCH more expensive here.

It's actually a limited addition import with Nickel hardware and Kent Armstrong's JB/59 copies. Heres some crappy pics of it:

xv-800003.jpg

xv-800004.jpg

xv-800002.jpg

Also heres a really crappy video of how it sounds :p

It's a great guitar, I'm actually considering getting one of the Flametop ones now.

• Members

A great guitar player named Walter Trout uses the same 70's era strat he's had since he bought it new back in the 70's. As far as I know, he's never played another guitar live, and he's been in John Mayhal's Blues Breakers and had his own band for decades.

I don't know what would happen if he ever lost, or had this guitar stolen.

I'm not sure if it's the only guitar he owns... but it's the one he plays... every time. It's a part of his trademark sound for sure.

Personally, I enjoy having a diversity of guitars. They each inspire me in a different way, and even though a "new" one can be a favorite for a while... (mine's a Fender American Deluxe Flame Maple Top... sort of Fender's version of an Anderson strat), I still want to play my Guild Blues 90, or Les Paul Standard, or McCarty, or others...

Give it a few months before you sell your current guitars... they might just "call" you one of these days!

M

• Members

It's a great guitar, I'm actually considering getting one of the Flametop ones now.

be sure to do all of the following first....

a) bring your metallic silver limited with you when you try out a select

b) play all thru the same amp.

i owned one of those metallic silver limited hardtails. story behind those is as follows. ill give you both versions of this story and let you make up your mind for yourself.

story the dealer told me:

they bought 100 pairs of kent armstrong pups for the first 100 usa hardtail pro's (now discontinued) but signed a deal with duncan for those guitars so they ended up with 100 extra pickup sets they didnt know what to do w/. so they put them in a non-numbered 100 limited run.

my version of the story:

after selling mine, i considered buying another one (sellers remorse). so i went down to the store and played every dean i could thru the same amp. after comparing them i noticed something about the silver ones. they were all about 1/4" thinner than any other hardtail i compared them to. they also sounded thinner as well. so my theory is this. they ended up with a run of 100 or so import hardtails that turned out too thin, ran the wrong wood thru the c and c or something and tried to beef up their sound by putting ka's in them. in my experience, every single select i played with just standard dean no brand pickups in them sounded WAY fatter and meatier than any of the metallic hardtails ive played. (which btw is about 10 of them. i live right by the largest dean dealer on the west coast).

so there you have it, 2 versions of that story. one of them is wrong. the important thing to take away from this though is this.

never ever ever buy a dean sight unseen. play it first YOURSELF before you take it home. or at the very least, buy with a good return policy. dean's are a good guitar. if you get the right one.

edit:

i did find the one btw. the michael kelly patriot black. sure i still want other guitars next year. some more michael kelly's and a brian may guitar. but for me, the patriot black is everything ive ever wanted in a guitar. mahogany body with 1/2" maple cap, ebony fingerboard, direct mount usa pickups with coil taps, singlecut body, full fret access neck joint, grover tuners, real tone pros bridge. it just so happened that my #1 turned out to be a guitar that costs less than 500 bucks. which is why i bought 2 of them :)

Archived