LP deluxe and P-90's

DougM

• Members

Hi.....

I"m looking at putting new P-90's into my 78 LP deluxe.....What is the recommendation?? Years ago I had p-100's in it because I was concerned about hum and then swapped the for SD mini humbuckers which are awesome but as I've just bought a new LP STD I want to go for the classic P-90 sound...How bad do P-90's hum when using lot's of gain??

I've always been happy with SD pickups in any guitar I have worked on but I have heard that Lindy fralins are good as well.......What about the original Gibsons????? They are the most expensive though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Doug

• Members

P-90's are indeed very noisy pickups, but I guess I don't really mind the noise because the tone they produce is pure heaven.

I've been recommending the Guitar Fetish pickups quite a bit lately. From the reviews and the clips, they're fantastic tone for the money. If your guitar is humbucker-equipped (sorry, I'm a LP n00b!), they have humbucker-sized P-90's called the Dream 90 and Mean 90, depending on how much bite you want them to have.

• Members

I have two solutions for you which should address all of your concerns.

1) Jason Lollar P-90's, I haven't read a review yet of anyone who didn't like them. If you do find someone that doesn't like them, they probably have no idea what they're talking about. Do a search on them in the user reviews, they're wound to your specs and they're only about $90 each.

2) Shield the guitar, that will at least get rid of most of the hum. I started a thread asking for advice on how to shield a p-90 guitar so just search it.

• Members

SNIP

2) Shield the guitar, that will at least get rid of most of the hum. I started a thread asking for advice on how to shield a p-90 guitar so just search it.

Exactly. It's amazing how much noise a good shielding job will get rid of.

Archived