EMG Installation problem

metal-mod

• Members

Iv wired up the pickups correctly but it didnt work, when fidling around witht he jack socket i noticed it wud work when i inserted the plug only half way. I found that the jack socket is stereo where as my original was mono. Any thoughts on the problem? as u can probably tell i dont know a lot about these things. Any comments would be really appreciated

• Members

Your old input jack was probably TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) also, just no lead connected to the ring. The EMG setup will power that ring connection. and it sounds like something is out of whack there. Just make sure your 3 connections to the output jack look like the wiring diagram.

Otherwise, with your diagram in hand, reverse engineer/retrace everything. Its probably something really easy that was overlooked.

• Members

I would respectfully suggest the wiring cannot possibly be correct. If it were correct your guitar would be functioning properly, no? I would guess you have the hot lead on the wrong terminal of your output jack.

You are using the stereo jack supplied by EMG, right? If memory serves ground should be connected to the terminal that's common with the jack's ground ring. The hot lead should go to the terminal that matches the prong that will mate with your guitar cable's tip. The battery lead should go to the terminal that corresponds with the middle of the cable plug's shaft.

I hope that makes sense.

• Members

no, I don't think your wiring is correct. few things to consider:

1) wiring is off somewhere / solder is bridging over something it shouldn't

2) dead battery (I've seen weird things here)

3) you're trying to wire up something non-standard like active and passives together, etc.

Questions:

What pickups are you wiring in?

Do you have the EMG pots (25k)?

How many volume and tone controls?

What type of pickup selector are you using?

• Members

If my wiring is incorrect why do i get sound when i put the plug in half way, i thought it was because the plug on the lead is mono when my new socket it stereo?? the battery aint dead and from what i can see ( for the 4th time) my wiring is correct. im positive it has something to do with the socket

• Members

If my wiring is incorrect why do i get sound when i put the plug in half way, i thought it was because the plug on the lead is mono when my new socket it stereo?? the battery aint dead and from what i can see ( for the 4th time) my wiring is correct. im positive it has something to do with the socket

If your wiring was correct your guitar would work properly with the cable's jack plugged all the way into the guitar. That is how it's supposed to work and would work if the wiring was correct. Trust me, I have four EMG equipped guitars that were all wired by yours truly. They all work with the plug in all the way. They are wired correctly.

If you are convinced that your guitars are wired correctly then I am also convinced there's little we can do to help you here.

Good Luck.

• Members

allow me to put forth my 2 pesos wurth

1) take the socket out of socket hole (leave everything connected and wired up)

does it look like this?

stereojack_X.jpg

note the way the wires are soldered

wires are soldered such that it is CLEAN..

ie not fat blob of solder that introduces shorts where it should not be

2) now plug in your geetar lead (all the way in) and closely observe the contact made between the SLEEVE and TIP of the jack and the corresponding lug of the socket

a) do you see GOOD contact made between sleeve of jack and said lug of socket(and NO WHERE ELSE)?

b) do you also see the jack tip making good contact with its corresponding jack lug ...and that it is NOT accidentally making contact with the sleeve?

if there is sound then all is well. if not, then either a) or b) is the origin of your woes.

solution: you might need to 'tweak' the lugs with some pliers so that the lugs DOES make ONLY the appropriate contact when lead is all the way in (as it should be)

3) if everything works with socket OUT of SOCKET HOLE of GEETAR....but not so when it is in socket hole...then the guitar socket hole might be the cause of the problem as it might interfere with the contact between sleeve and lug

again try and manipulate lug so that you compensate for the obstruction caused by geetar socket hole

'tight' socket holes can also sometimes cause the larger than normal stereo socket to make contact inappropriately between lugs and sleeve/tip of jack

hope my 2 pesos worth will buy you some joy :D

Archived