GFS pickup pots problem

burton4snow

• Members

I read a thread were some people using GFS pickups had better luck going from 500K pots to 250K pots. They said the pickups sounded thin without much punch. Has anybody else had these problems? I'm having someone put them in should I mention to them to make sure it has 250K pots or put some in. Also, I have no knowledge of these things you call pots. Could someone enlighten me, and also explain why going from 500K to 250K matters in pickup sound? Pictures and diagrams would help! Thanks:freak:

• Members

If anything some of their pups are to bass heavy.Unless the person was talking about their P-90 type single coils.I'd say 500k is the way to go or its going to be mud city.500k pots have a higher resistence to ground which means high frequencies are not easily bled through the tone capacitor to ground.So with a 250k pot,even at its brightest setting its still losing high end.
If you want to experiment with tone you can change Capacitor values.The standard for humbuckers is .022uf(microfarads).Replacements can be found in .033&.047 uf as well,but the higher the cap value the "darker"(less highs)the tone.

Archived