New Amp Day - Warning Hot Rod Deluxe content

Geeter

• Members

I'd prefer an Allen or a BF Fender but I've heard some HRD in band situations and some sound good and some sound bad. I think if you're good you'll make any amp sound decent but if you're bad and the tone is rotten, it'll make it just that much worse. I think the HRD were o.k. but a bit generic but you can improve them a little, and my main gripe was the volume but after reading about volume mod, I may give it another chance? For $200-300 used I think it's a great deal, at $600 & up not so good.

• Members

Congrats on the HRD. I've got one I've had for several years and it has been a very dependable amp. I like the clean sound a lot, but I was never crazy about the drive channel or the reverb. The reverb pot was more like a switch--either no reverb or overpowering reverb.

Then I did a couple of things that really make me love the amp. First, I did the reverb mod described at the site in the reply above. It is very simple--you remove the back cover and clip one of the leads to a resistor directly behind the reverb pot. It really improves the reverb by making the reverb level increase gradually rather than all at once.

The other thing I did was to install THD Yellow Jackets with EL84s in place of the 6L6s. This allows me to crank the amp more (still not bedroom level, but somewhat less loud) and makes a noticeable improvement in the drive channel.

• Members

I picked one up a few months ago from MF for $500 flat. They screwed up an order for something else and dropped the price to make up for it. I keep it on clean and use an OCD for drive. I really don't care much for the Drive/More Drive channels. Just a waste of space IMO, but that clean is what I was after. Haven't had a chance to do any mods but plan to do so in the future. Anything past 2 makes my ears bleed. I got a 20ft cable so I can crank it and play in a different room.

HNAD!!

Archived