J5 Telecaster question...

Carlos&Cambria

• Members

Hey there, long time lurker...first time poster! :wave:...or at least I don't remember posting anything before this hehe

Anyway, here is the thing, I need (okok, WANT) a new guitar (who doesn't???), I already own a crappy Epiphone stratocaster copy and a Gibson Explorer, so I want something to ... umm .. compliment the Explorer which is my main axe as of now, so I naturally thought "FENDER!", and since John5 is one of my favorite guitarists I've been checking out his signature guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Artist-Series-J5-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-102961554-i1147140.gc

So, my question is, have you tried the J5 telecaster?

Do you think it would be a good idea to get to compliment my Explorer?

I want to play John5 stuff on it (crazy shredding with country mixed in :p), like bluegrass on steroids hehe, blues, and some 70's rock, I hope its good for clean tones ,or should I just go straight with a standard Telecaster? (I have about 1000 usd to spend, btw)

I plan on trying the guitar out once I go to a Guitar Center (I live in Mexico, will go to the states sometime next month to get it), so until then I can only rely on you and internet reviews...of which I haven't found many hehe

anyway, what do you think? or should I go with something completely different??

thanks in advance, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS. oh, before i forget I'm using a peavey valveking as an amp

...And I really reallyyyy want to get the J5 Telecaster, unless it proves to be redundant with the Explorer (which I kinda doubt)

• Members

The J5 is a totally different guitar than the Explorer, as far as tone and action is concerned, so if you're jonesin' for a J5, go for it.

thanks for the fast reply!

I assume you have tried the J5, did you like it for the "genres" I posted in my original post?

what about the clean tones?

thanks again!

• Members

Yeah, I've played one. I'm a big Fender and Gibson fan (and owner), and it reminds me of a LP and Strat rolled into a Tele body and neck. But you really should go try one yourself and decide. I'd recommend taking your Explorer with you so you can do a "side by side" tonal and playability comparison. :)

• Members
Yeah, I've played one. I'm a big Fender and Gibbson fan (and owner), and it reminds me of a LP and Strat rolled into a Tele body and neck. But you really should go try one yourself and decide. I'd recommend taking your Explorer with you so you can do a "side by side" tonal and playability comparison.
:)

LP + Strat in a telecaster?!?! You've sold me! haha I will try it out, and thanks for the info, man.

If anyone has another opinion, feel free to post!

• Members

Apparently, I certainly will get this guitar sometime next month, don't worry, I'll post plenty of pics and my impressions with it! and if you are lucky maybe even the store story...'cause you know there is always a store story even if its only "I got there, bought it and walked out of the store....when suddenly a huge demon appeared and challenged me to a guitar duel..."ok ok, just the pics ;)

Archived