Mic'ing your Amp Suggestions?

nuke_diver

• Members

Recording software is Audacity. It works good with my Guitarport. Soundcard is the built-in one on the MB (forget which one right now but the software is Realtek).

The mic is likely going back since it's most likely the problem but more info would be good since it would really suck to spend $50-100 and get the same problem
:mad:

The MacBook audio interface is a tad noisy, just so's you know. The fix I found for this is to turn down the system input audio and turn up the main mix/input gain. This kills quite a bit of the hum. If you use Logic, you can also use the denoiser plugin, although it doesn't work nearly as well as getting rid of it at the source

• Members

I've tried talking into it as the initial test that's when I first noticed the low volume on the playback. The recording volume is at max so I don't seem to be able to get any more volume that way.

The mic is marketed as a Karoke mic so I would have thought it would have done a better job of picking up the input...if it's the soundcard then I'm guessing I would be screwed no matter what I had in there right? So getting a SM57 wouldnt make it any better :confused:

• Members

I've tried talking into it as the initial test that's when I first noticed the low volume on the playback. The recording volume is at max so I don't seem to be able to get any more volume that way.

The mic is marketed as a Karoke mic so I would have thought it would have done a better job of picking up the input...if it's the soundcard then I'm guessing I would be screwed no matter what I had in there right? So getting a SM57 wouldnt make it any better
:confused:

it ain't yer soundcard...least it doesn't sound that way. Have you tried an audio interface? I use a Behringer UB802 mixer as an interface and it works quite well for EQ'ing out all the noise

• Members

it ain't yer soundcard...least it doesn't sound that way. Have you tried an audio interface? I use a Behringer UB802 mixer as an interface and it works quite well for EQ'ing out all the noise

I'm curious why you think it isn't the sound card?

I was thinking that it most likely was though when I used the Guitarport as the input device it wasn't any better so I'd give the mic at least a 50/50 chance of being the problem. But since both work..albeit badly it's hard to know which is the major source of the problem :mad:

Just to be clear the problem isn't noise it is very low volume.

• Members
i really like my mxl 990s!

I'm looking to pickup their stereo version in a few weeks. It seems nobody has any in stock right now. Need a simple solution for recording the band's live shows and rehearsals. That mic looks like just the ticket.

• Members

I sort of took this advice and got a Memorex Mic at Target for $7.99. It does seem to work but the volume level is very low
Is this the fault of the mic or something else. I've messed around with the settings but I cannot raise the mic volume any higher

If it helps any of the EE's out there (you know who you you are
:wave:
) the impedance for the mic is 600ohms and the sensitivity is -76db=/-3 at 1Khz.

Did I just get a crap mic and should have listened to those saying get a SM57? :poke:

You should have listened to those telling you to get a 57.

If the $100 price of the 57 is scaring you off then why don't you consider one of these for a cool $70? True, a 57 is a great mic but one of these would be a lot more fun.

265434.jpg

• Members
I already have a modeling amp (AD30VT)

Probably you're right about the SM57...but the one I got was $8...it was worth a shot
:idea:

You have a modeling amp but you said you can't go direct with it, right? You can go direct with the V-Amp. I've made many recordings with my modeling amps (I've a V-Amp Pro and a Tonelab) and I HAVE a Shure 57, two of them! :idk:

• Members

ohhhhh I forgot about Blue's stuff. Yeah, they have nice entry-level mics that go straight into USB. That's the snowball, yeah?

Yup. I haven't heard one myself, but the reviews have been uniformly pretty good to great. I'm saving up my quarters for one right now.

• Members

The mic is marketed as a Karoke mic so I would have thought it would have done a better job of picking up the input...if it's the soundcard then I'm guessing I would be screwed no matter what I had in there right? So getting a SM57 wouldnt make it any better

Sounds like you need a mic pre. Your soundcard is looking for a line-level signal, and you're feeding it a mic-level signal (much lower). You won't be able to get that recorded volume up without a BUNCH of noise in the signal.

Three options--either get a cheap mixer and run the line out from that to your soundcard's line in; or hope your soundcard has a mic in; or purchase/make a mic preamp. The link will take you to a diagram for a simple mic pre.

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/micamp.html

• Members

Sounds like you need a mic pre. Your soundcard is looking for a line-level signal, and you're feeding it a mic-level signal (much lower). You won't be able to get that recorded volume up without a BUNCH of noise in the signal.

Three options--either get a cheap mixer and run the line out from that to your soundcard's line in; or hope your soundcard has a mic in; or purchase/make a mic preamp. The link will take you to a diagram for a simple mic pre.

as said, a Behringer UB802 (I got it from a friend for Christmas) is a great cheap solution. I've been able to take down almost all the hum from it and it sounds great. Mess with the system input level and bring up the gain on the mixer a bit and it sounds great.

• Members

Samurai

I see you have an AD30Vt. Do you run the line out from that into the mixer and then to your recording software?

It was my understanding that using the line out on the AD30VT basically acted like headphones would which means no sound out of the amp (and bypassing the power amp?). That's what I was trying to avoid with the mic since I like the sound of the amp as is. Currently I can record with good volume if I go through the Guitarport but then I get the computer speakers which don't sound as good (plus if I have a backing track on the computer it's hard to get the levels balanced). I was never looking for anything professional in terms of recording. I'm a hack and just wanted to record some backing tracks that I could solo over to practice as well as to hear how bad I actually sound. Given what might be needed to get the mic working it is probably more economic to just continue to use the Guitarport if I need to record something. It means I'd be a bit less spontaneous. :blah:

Blamalam sounds like you might be right. While the sound card does have a mic input it looks like it does not function any different then the line in (I tried)

To everyone

Thanks for all the help and advice..you guys :rawk:

• Members

You *might* be able to go into the Windows mixer and adjust the levels for the mic in, but I'm not sure--I guess it would vary according to your soundcard. Honestly, the Guitar Port sounds like your best bet given your current equipment, as long as latency isn't too much of an issue.

Samurai, caught that--I've got one of those mixers too, gathering dust in my basement :eek: . I bought it a couple of years ago thinking that I would use it--heh. Yeah, right.

• Members

You *might* be able to go into the Windows mixer and adjust the levels for the mic in, but I'm not sure--I guess it would vary according to your soundcard. Honestly, the Guitar Port sounds like your best bet given your current equipment, as long as latency isn't too much of an issue.

Yeah I agree, it means not micing the amp which I think would give the best sound and no acoustic recordings but for what I need it for it would be easier to stick with the Guitarport. Maybe in a while I'll revisit this but at least now I know it what is required.

• Members

I sort of took this advice and got a Memorex Mic at Target for $7.99. It does seem to work but the volume level is very low
Is this the fault of the mic or something else. I've messed around with the settings but I cannot raise the mic volume any higher

You need a microphone pre amp.

A line level signal is typically around +4 dB whereas a mic signal is around -40 dB. You need a microphone pre amp to get the microphone level to line level, which is a suitable level to record at.

Many recording interfaces have microphone pre amps built in but you can also buy external ones.

Archived