****Need Advice on new pickups for my LP 100!!!!

delayed delay

• Members

Hello all! I'm a newbie to the site and I need some advice....

I've got an Epiphone LP 100 with some half-decent pickups in it. I've got about 175-180 bucks to spend on new pickups. The pickups I have right now are the stock pickups and they sound great in the low-mid to high-mid range but the highs sound too bright and tinny and the distortion is muddy and unattractive. I'm running the axe through several effects pedals (Boss CH-1, Line 6 DL4, Marshall GV-2, Ibanez TS9DX, and Ernie Ball PV 6166, through a Furman SPB-8 pedalboard) and into my amazing Peavey Classic 50 all-tube amp (4 10's). That all-tube amp gives me a stellar clean sound and the chorus sounds great. The TS9DX sounds good, but the GV-2 (my distortion pedal), sounds muddy and unclear when I play rhythm or chords. Solos sound great with the ts9dx and the GV-2 running together, but the 'tinnyness' is still there.

I'm looking into the Gibson Burstbucker Pro Humbuckers, the Gibson Classic '57 Humbuckers, the 496r/500t combo.... maybe some more if ya'll can help me out. I'm looking for something that will still give me that great clean, all-tube tone that I love but also something that will give me a much better crunchy distortion without the muddiness. I play a lot of Christian music-praise and worship, to Christian rock, to 80's rock, to blues, to alt. rock.

So keeping my price range, my pickup preferences, and everything else in mind, what do ya'll recommend I go after? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... thanks!

• Members

You see.... I love the guitar. The action is great and it's beautiful and overall the tone really is pretty nice; it's got a great Hillsong sound (if you're familiar with Hillsong United). I'm just looking for pickups that are better than the ones I got in there now; more sustain, not as tinny, better distortion/overdrive..... it sure would be nice to pick up something else along The Edge's sound for fills and such, but that's not at all the main thing I'm looking for.

I found a great deal on the Burstbucker Pro humbuckers ($165 for a pair of the neck and bridge)... would that not be a better upgrade for a reasonable price?

• Members

I played an LP 100 last week at SA.

I thought it was pretty cool and a great stage banger.

The added bonus I thought was the ping tuners.

It stayed in tune nicely.

On the upside I can understand you wanting better pups in it cause it seemed to lack definition.

So to best suit your needs I offer these suggestions:

SH-6 Distortion Pickup set: $130

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-Distortion-Mayhem-SH-6-Humbucker-Pair-103303582-i1127369.gc

or

SH4/JB+SH-2 combo:$130

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-103647152-i1127363.gc

Both are uncompromisingly great sounding at a great price for the pairs.

• Members

Hello all!

I'm looking into the Gibson Burstbucker Pro Humbuckers, the Gibson Classic '57 Humbuckers, the 496r/500t combo.... maybe some more if ya'll can help me out. I'm looking for something that will still give me that great clean, all-tube tone that I love but also something that will give me a much better crunchy distortion without the muddiness. I play a lot of Christian music-praise and worship, to Christian rock, to 80's rock, to blues, to alt. rock.

So keeping my price range, my pickup preferences, and everything else in mind, what do ya'll recommend I go after? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... thanks!

Hi and welcome to the boards, Gibson Dreamer . . .

. . . sounds like you are into thte same music as my brother :thu:

He too is BIG into his Christian Rock (Third Day, Hillsong, Casting Crowns and his fav. Hilerious ...you get the idea) and is also the Church band-leader.

Just like you, he has an Epi LP, but a slightly higher end one, and he jusr ordered a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro's - ala SLASH !

Over here, the Gibbo items are wayyyyyy over-priced, but if * I * had to go for some Gibbo units, i would get the 57's ! :evil:

Right now, i too have an Epi LP Gold Top as my #1 guitar and i have SD Pearly Gates(b)/A2P(n). Me on the other hand, play from blues to classic rock to stoner rock to sludge n'doom on that guitar !

It really depends what type of sound (not genre) you want from your guitar ;)

PS - love your amp !

Good Luck

;)

• Members

I played an LP 100 last week at SA.

I thought it was pretty cool and a great stage banger.

The added bonus I thought was the ping tuners.

It stayed in tune nicely.

On the upside I can understand you wanting better pups in it cause it seemed to lack definition.

So to best suit your needs I offer these suggestions:

SH-6 Distortion Pickup set: $130

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-Distortion-Mayhem-SH-6-Humbucker-Pair-103303582-i1127369.gc

or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-103647152-i1127363.gc

GREAT Value for your $$$'s . . . both of them !

I would go for the bottom one though, for my style of playing as well as the music that Gibson Dreamer plays, as i know many of the genre's (at least i think so) bands through my brother !

My 2cents

;)

• Moderators

The JB is a love it or hate it pickup and the Jazz is one of SD's worst pickups.

If you want good pickups at good value, GFS are almost impossible to beat for the money. If you want some more choice then you should contact forumite Bryan Gunsher who runs BG Pups, and tell him your requirements and let him wind them for you. He's been the only guy in a long time who could wind me an an Alnico V that I like the sound of.

If you have to have SD pickups (although God knows why) then the Alnico II offerings, eg the Alnico II and Pearly Gates are damn good, and the 59 is pretty good, but there are better pickups out there for the money, but asd mentioned up above Bryans are superior to most

• Members

Thank you so much sirjack....

so you recommend the SD's Alinco Pro II's for the sound I'm looking for?

Maybe this will help you peeps help me a little more.... I want to keep my all-tube, super-awesome, pure, clean sound while having a bettter overdrive/distortion (through my pedals) and better sustain (Hillsong).

Are the SD Alnico Pros / GFS the best way to go for me?

• Members

The 496R/500T combo sound great in my Explorer. They handle clean to heavy tones great (imo). These days I am using my PV-Classic30 more and more. They sound great through this amp. Plenty of Gibsons that come stock with this combo. You may want to check them out at your local GC or what have you. Although it wont tell you exactly how they would sound in your guitar it would (imo) give you a general idea of what the combo has to offer.

Another combo you might consider is from DiMarzio. A Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF-Pro in the neck. The Distortion in the bridge is a great(imo) all around rock and blues pup. The Paf-Pro is a nice neck pup that does a great job of getting any "mud" or "boom" you might have in the neck position.

• Members

Thank you so much sirjack....

so you recommend the SD's Alinco Pro II's for the sound I'm looking for?

Maybe this will help you peeps help me a little more.... I want to keep my all-tube, super-awesome, pure, clean sound while having a bettter overdrive/distortion (through my pedals) and better sustain (Hillsong).

Are the SD Alnico Pros / GFS the best way to go for me?

OK, so if it was MY money i would spend on this "retro-fitting", i would go either way . . .

. . . in no spesific order;

* SD Alnico 2 Pro's

* Gibbo '57s

* SD Pearly Gates (neck & Bridge)

All three are based on the classic PAF humbucking tone of the 50's :thu:

• Members

Would the SD Alnico Pro's still give me a great clean, pure sound as well as Slash's overdriven sound? What about if I'm looking for The Edge's sound?

I LOVE the A2P's clean tone :love:, and YES, you will deff get that sig Slash tone, IF you play through a slightly hot Marshall - remember, his Marshall was modded.

He never used external dirt boxes, only that sweet Brittish EL34 crunch and sometimes delay !

Sorry, not a Bonno fan :freak: - so i know little about the Edge's tone, or the band for that matter.

But the SD A2P's is all the way, SLASH :thu:.

Also great for overdriven Blues - with or without the help of a little fuzz!

Archived