XV-500 or XV-550?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I've been GASsing for a Xaviere. I'm just not sure which one to get, either a XV-500 or a XV-550. Like the color better on the 500 (natural stain) than the 550 (cherryburst).

I have two other electrics. A Fender Custom HH Telecaster (all mahogany, set neck, Fender scale, etc.) and a 1967 Gibson ES-335. NOTHING I have ever played has been to even touch the playability of that Fender, and as far a tone goes few solidbodies have been able to match it. That and that the XV-500 has many similar features makes me think that the 550 might be better, not to mention a few people here that have had both said they prefered the 550.

Of course the ES-335 is one of the best guitars one can get for a semi-hollowbody (and most expensive:(), let alone a vintage one. I'm not expecting a 550 to be a comparable guitar, but it is not going to be a lower quality clone either. It has design elements that differ from the 335 so it will have a significantly different tone, and from what I've read it will sound good in its own right. Also, a semi-hollow I can actually take out in public without having to worry about it (near as much).

So what does everyone think?

• Members

First post.... Woohoo!!

I'd go with the 550 if it was me..... mostly because it'd cover SOME of the same territory as the es-335 and you wouldn't be risking damaging a vintage guitar. I had an awesome USA Reverend with a etched top that I ended up selling because it was so prone to scratching (and they discontinued the USA models so it was suddenly very collectible). I was paranoid about damaging it at a gig...

Don't have a 550, but I just picked up a 600 w/ P90s... UPS dropped it off yesterday. The fit and finish are allright.... As long as you set your expectations, you won't be disappointed. The tuners are rough, though they seem to hold tune...... frets are fairly good.... Finish is decent.

The thing sounds awesome. I'm really shocked at just how good it sounds. That seems to be the common thread with Xaviere guitars.....

• Members

I think I might go with a 550. I have never found another solidbody that I like as much as Custom HH Tele, no matter the price range, and it does an excellent job of covering the Gibson-ish sound. If I got a 500 I don't think it would get played because I doubt the 500 could do anything better that my custom tele.

Archived