Fuchs Amp Clip

mdog114

• Members

That was fantastic tone and some really nice playing too. That's kind of tone I like - lots of smooth sustain but not super saturated so it's still very expressive. Out of curiosity, what was the guitar and how loud was the amp set?

Thanks!

I used my Warmoth strat, I just rewired it a 2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to put it down since! I used the neck PU until the last few bars when I switched to the bridge. The PUs are DiMarzio, VV Blues/neck-VV Heavy Blues/middle-ToneZone/bridge.

It was tracked live in a 16'x17'x10' irregular shaped live room at my studio. The room is treated with some diffusion, and has few parallel surfaces. The bass was direct and my cabinet was isolated, so the drums are really the only thing you hear any real room tone on. My room sounds pretty good for a small setup, I'm diggin' my drum sounds lately! I overdubbed the keys after the fact.

WarmothPadoukStrat00011.jpg

The amp is a bit of a unique beast. I'm not sure if you're familiar with them, but they're supposed to be Dumble-like clones. I used the OD channel, and the master was at about 10 o'clock.

The way the amp works is, the clean channels' initial gain (volume) knob, feeds the OD channel. The OD channel has an input & an output control that feed the final master volume.

In essence, you have the clean channel as the initial gain stage, then that feeds the "input" (gain) control on the OD channel which then feeds the "output" (OD ch. volume) and then to the master volume control.

On the OD channels output, you end up with three gain stages before you hit the master. I think that's how it to produces that creamy, well defined dirt.

I used this cab and mic'd it with a combo of a cheap Octavia ML-52 ribbon mic and a 421. The pre for the 421 was a Neve 1073 clone and the ribbon was sent through a Sytek BB mod channel, no compression going in.

FuchsRig1.jpg

I noticed you're a G&L man! I just got my order of string from just strings and the first thing I was planning on re-stringing is my Comanche. If I get a chance, I'll try a take with that axe.

• Members

I wasn't familiar with that amp, but I figured it was aimed at the Dumble ballpark given the tone you got out of it. Many of my favorite tones come from players using Dumbles (Robben Ford, Larry Carlton) or interpretations of the Dumbles. While I'm still a student and thus have no money I'd definitely like to look into getting something in that vein...20-30 watts is just about perfect IMO.

The G&Ls are great - would love to hear a clip with the Comanche!

• Members

Here we go again... everywhere I go and listen to the amps, somehow I find the D style amps to sound the best, to me at least that is.
But these amps are so darn expensive :rolleyes:, thanks Good Nik started the production of the Overtone. It's been one month since my order and I really hope I'll get that amp soon.
...and clips like this just makes me want it even more :D

Nice playing BTW
:thu:

• Members
Here we go again... everywhere I go and listen to the amps, somehow I find the D style amps to sound the best, to me at least that is.

But these amps are so darn expensive
:rolleyes:
, thanks Good Nik started the production of the Overtone. It's been one month since my order and I really hope I'll get that amp soon.

...and clips like this just makes me want it even more
:D

Nice playing BTW

:thu:

Thanks!

You should look into them a bit, they're great amps but they have a different design than most. The clean channels initial gain stage actually feeds the OD channel when it's engaged. This makes the setting of the clean channel VERY influential on the OD channel.

If I ever buy another amp (ha, ha, ha, ha) I'd likely get the three channel version. It's got a separate, third clean channel that's totally independent.

Archived