Low Tuning an SG

n8wood

• Members

I picked up a used SG Faded last week and I'm working on intonating it. I tune low (drop C#) and I'm having a tough time getting the top string right. Does anyone have any tips for using low tunings on an SG? On my Fenders I would take out the spring in the bridge saddle which would give me just enough to intonate properly.

I was looking at this tailpiece from Stewart MacDonald:

0209_1lg.jpg

But I'm not sure it will actually help. Since the tailpiece is located behind the bridge I'm thinking it won't affect the intonation at all.

• Members

No - your link shows the metric one (also called LARGE POSTS), which fits to Epiphone and other imports if I am not mistaken. The US models needs to be SMALL POSTS ... not the metric one ...

Here the intonation issue is explicitly mentioned:

TonePros Model AVR-II

(Advanced Vintage Replacement II)

This model is the exact replacement for the bridges found on older or vintage instruments originally fitted with ABR-1 style bridges. This locking model has the complete appearance of the vintage part, but has many upgrades including more intonation range, and saddles that are "engineered in" solid, preventing "lift" against the retainer wire. Retrofit for most Vintage and reissued USA guitars without modification. Extra tight construction eliminates rattles and improves sustain.

However, I do not know the differences between the TonePros models ... perhaps someone can chime in?

• Members
  • Members

I have no problem tuning to drop C on my Les Paul, which has the same bridge/tail piece as your SG... what guage strings are you using? Some people tend to use freakin' cables, but I don't know why. I use plain old 10-46s and they work just fine.

If I were to go lower, which I'm not interested in doing, I'd probably go to 11s...

• Members

Heavier gauge strings will give you a more accurate intonation and less "spaghetti feel" . It's possible that it just won't intonate perfectly after going to a heavier gauge though. I had an old SG and my Les Paul set up for a B standard tuning with 13 gauge strings and the intonation was a hair off on a couple strings. I would recommend the Nashville style Tonepros Bridge over the ABR-1. Gives you more room for saddle adjustment. It's the Tonepros Model T3BP. Should be a direct drop in replacement on your SG Faded.

Archived