Guitar Shops in Houston

SkippyX

• Members

Hey

I'm moving to Houston, TX next week. I'm not very familiar with the city and I'm definitely looking forward to exploring the place and seeing what there is to do/see/have fun with. One of the things I'm most looking forward to is cruising various guitar shops that I'm sure MUST be down there. Heck, it's a city of millions of people so there's sure to be several places to check out.

Anyways - I was wondering if there's anyone that frequents HCEG that knows the area and knows of any places in particular that they'd recommend me checking out.

• Members

You'd think for a city this size there would be more to check out, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot when it comes to guitar shops.

Rockin' Robin and Fuller's Vintage are the best places probably. There's of course a couple of GCs, Evans Music City and Parker's (up north) that will occasionally have some decent stuff.

I've heard good things about Infinity Guitars which is west on Westheimer towards Hwy 6, but never been in myself. There is also a newer shop called Smack Guitars in Missouri City that has some decent stock on hand.

• Members

Ah, the old hometown. How I miss her sometimes.

Juice pointed out most of them, really. Rockin Robin is a good place to check out. I never went to Fullers, but I hear good thing about it. There are 3 GC's: Westside/Galleria area is the largest and tends to get the best stuff, then there's one up on I-45 N just south of 1960, and I think one in Clear Lake, down by Johnson Space Center off I-45 S. Evans was overpriced the last time I went in (a good 10 years ago, so YMMV). Parker tends to have prices cheaper than the online/catalog shops, and they are a great bunch of folks. I won an Ibanez guitar there in July during the Larry Mitchell clinic/Ibanez Days festivities, so I may be biased, but their prices on guitars was way below retail. I nearly picked up an Ibanez RG2610 that day until I won the guitar and realized my wife might skin me if I came home with 2.

There's also at least 2-3 Music Go Round franchises in the area. I've been to the one at The Commons at Willowbrook, and they were good guys, though the selection was a bit weak when I was there in July. There used to be a cat on Westheimer near Montrose named Austin who had tons of funky and vintage gear back in the 90's that he sold out of a duplex, but I don't know what happened to him. He was in a band called Sugar Shack, and he sold a lot of gear to musicians all over Texas.

• Members

There is I think 4 Guitar Centers, I like the one on Westheimer near Hillcroft. I have been to Smack Guitars in Missouri City and it's a nice little mom and pop store. I actually spent about 60 bucks with them just because they were so nice and I really didn't need anything at the time. Where in Houston are you moving to? I live in Sugar Land but work in Conroe.

• Members

There is I think 4 Guitar Centers, I like the one on Westheimer near Hillcroft. I have been to Smack Guitars in Missouri City and it's a nice little mom and pop store. I actually spent about 60 bucks with them just because they were so nice and I really didn't need anything at the time. Where in Houston are you moving to? I live in Sugar Land but work in Conroe.

I'm moving to a little neighborhood like two blocks north of the 610 loop and two blocks west of Ella. Not far from the Heights.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

+1 for Smack Guitars. They give excellent customer service - something very lacking in the warehouse type stores we are all so familiar with.

We bought my daughters guitar at Smack Guitars and couldn't have been happier. The owner cares a lot about customer satisfaction and it shows.

BTW, I hear their selection will be expanding quite a bit too in the next few weeks.

Archived