9v in an Explorer, where to put it?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

I want to put an EMG in the bridge of my explorer, keep the neck pickup and other parts for appearance (I have too many guitars with unused tone pot routes, switch spots, neck pickup routes, etc, I like the was this one looks and would like to keep it that way). It would have the standard 2 pickups, one switch, three pots, one jack, but only one pickup, a volume, a tone, and the jack would be wired up. The switch wouldn't be functional (unless I used it as a killswitch, which I may), the neck pickup would be there to keep the neck pickup route clean, and one of the controls would more or less be there as a dummy. Where could I fit the battery in this case? I wonder if I could fashion a dummy pot, that screws in like a standard pot and holds a knob but is smaller and flat.

• Members

I wonder if I could fashion a dummy pot, that screws in like a standard pot and holds a knob but is smaller and flat.

You're correct; you could make a dummy pot. The threaded portion of the pot is held to the 'can' with 4 tabs. Lift those tabe and remove the threaded portion and the shaft assembly. You would have to do something with the shaft like superglue it into the threaded bushing so you could have a knob on top for cosmetic.

• Members

Not a lot of room in an Explorer to put a battery. The dummy pot is a great idea, apart from doing that you might be able to drill out the wire cavity under the pickguard a bit and wedge it in there. Assuming you heva pickguarded Explorer...

If you really wanted to get creative you could find an unused black EMG-style pickup cover, put the battery in the neck pickup route and mount the cover over it. It'll look like a pickup but really a battery compartment.

• Members

Not a lot of room in an Explorer to put a battery. The dummy pot is a great idea, apart from doing that you might be able to drill out the wire cavity under the pickguard a bit and wedge it in there. Assuming you heva pickguarded Explorer...

If you really wanted to get creative you could find an unused black EMG-style pickup cover, put the battery in the neck pickup route and mount the cover over it. It'll look like a pickup but really a battery compartment.

That had been my plan all along, to use a battery compartment like Warmoth offers and build it into an all-black pickup cover. But, I think, aesthetically, I'll like the look of an EMG in the bridge and a standard zebra humbucker in the neck.

• Members

Man, if I were going with a chrome cover, this would be so unreasonably easy.

Chrome cover, 6 short screws, battery box, done. But, alas... I think making it from two empty coil covers, and faking the hex heads and unadjustable lugs, would be considerably harder.

But it does give me an idea for a friend's guitar that's set up the same way. Who makes a black empty cover?

• Members

Man, if I were going with a chrome cover, this would be so unreasonably easy.

Chrome cover, 6 short screws, battery box, done. But, alas... I think making it from two empty coil covers, and faking the hex heads and unadjustable lugs, would be considerably harder.

But it does give me an idea for a friend's guitar that's set up the same way. Who makes a black empty cover?

thsi may sound crazy, but does the battery fit under the pickup?

Archived