Anyone polished their Les Paul DC Faded?

surfcat

• Members

I polished my Highway1 tele (same satin laquer finish) and it looks great!

If you have a satin laquer guitar and are playing it regularly guess what?

Its going to get buffed out and look shiny eventually anyway!

And yes, a little bit of turtle wax goes a LONG way on these guys

• Members

I polished my Highway1 tele (same satin laquer finish) and it looks great!

If you have a satin laquer guitar and are playing it regularly guess what?

Its going to get buffed out and look shiny eventually anyway!

And yes, a little bit of turtle wax goes a LONG way on these guys

My dad has a HW1 Tele and I find the finish to be worlds different. The HW1 guitars have a smooth, even finish, while the Gibson Faded guitars don't have any grain filler, so the surface is rough and you can feel every wood imperfection. I think if you used any car products on it, you would want to make sure to get the excess out of all the little crevices on the Faded.

• Members

My dad has a HW1 Tele and I find the finish to be worlds different. The HW1 guitars have a smooth, even finish, while the Gibson Faded guitars don't have any grain filler, so the surface is rough and you can feel every wood imperfection. I think if you used any car products on it, you would want to make sure to get the excess out of all the little crevices on the Faded.

Not an issue, Im a Gibson dealer, and have performed this on request for many customers on faded Gibsons.

• Members

Not an issue, Im a Gibson dealer, and have performed this on request for many customers on faded Gibsons.

Cool! I just wanted to point out that although the finish is the same substance, it's a completely different feeling between Fender HW1 and Gibson Faded.

I would love to see a Faded V all shined up. The next time you do one, can you post pictures?

• Members

Cool! I just wanted to point out that although the finish is the same substance, it's a completely different feeling between Fender HW1 and Gibson Faded.

I would love to see a Faded V all shined up. The next time you do one, can you post pictures?

if I had a camera at work, or if my cel phone camera didnt suck sure!

To be honest with you, its something thats hard to see in pictures.. there is a little more sheen you notice in the form of glare, but not much.

Its something that has to be seen in person to truly be appreciated, because not only does it add some sheen, but it adds depth to the natural color

• Members

if I had a camera at work, or if my cel phone camera didnt suck sure!

To be honest with you, its something thats hard to see in pictures.. there is a little more sheen you notice in the form of glare, but not much.

Its something that has to be seen in person to truly be appreciated, because not only does it add some sheen, but it adds depth to the natural color

No Soul,

So, is it a matter of just a wax job or do you need to polish it first with car polish (with some grit) and then hit it with some wax?

I already have some Meguiar's Scratch X. Would that do the job or do I need something more abrasive?

I haven't looked at the LP DC faded since I didn't like the finish but they are much cheaper than the LP special DC and might be cool buffed out.

If anybody has a link to the thread mentioned above, I wouldn't mind reading the about the process. I tried searching the archives but couldn't find it.

Thanks

• Members

I've noticed that the back of the neck is nice and shiny just from playing it. The rest of the guitar is dull and looks kind of like yellow primer. I'd like to get the rest of it looking like the back of the neck. I'm afraid wax will build up in the grain where it's not filled. Someone at TGP suggested gunstock oil. Maybe Murphy's oil soap?

No Soul-you're saying wax doesn't build up in the grain? What kind of wax are you using?

• Members

I just use good old Martin guitar polish and a lint free cloth on my Vixen.

Ditto.....Any place I touch constantly(neck, front of body) is nice and shiny from my oily ass hands. I personally like the ragged look. Right where my forearm sits, it is already starting to wear through the paint, woohoo!!

• Members

I just use good old Martin guitar polish and a lint free cloth on my Vixen.

Ditto.....Any place I touch constantly(neck, front of body) is nice and shiny from my oily ass hands. I personally like the ragged look. Right where my forearm sits, it is already starting to wear through the paint, woohoo!!

Does the Vixen have the same type finish? I have Martin polish but I haven't tried it yet, just getting ideas before I mess it up.

• Members

The one with P-90's. I saw a thread where someone used Meguirs auto polish on a Standard faded. Has anyone tried polishing up a DC? Mine's tv yellow. Pics would be great if you've got 'em. What polish did you use?

I put some Meguiars on my DC, and some Virtuoso polish as well. It's more of a protective coating than an all out polish, but it makes my black DC look nice.

Jan23034.jpg

• Members

Nice looking black one-I forgot they made it in that color. I definitely want to do the front of the headstock-that dull black headstock just looks wrong without some polish on it. I'll probably try a small spot on the back with several different products to see what works best.

Archived