Any opinions on Marshall VS 8040?

Karma1

• Members

I'm going to check out a used one tomorrow afternoon and wanted to see if anyone had any quick feedback about them. I played a different one a few months ago and I liked it but that particular one had a problem and was quite noisy. The owner of this one says it's very quiet. One thing I like about this model is it's compact size and light weight. I'd be using it more as a backup or for small gigs & jams, or possibly in stereo with my Mesa Boogie - which is my main amp.

I've owned some larger Valvestates in the past and found them to be fairly decent for a lower priced SS or hybrid amp. I don't need a lot of volume, and the clean channel is important for me. I do use a fair amount of effects, including sometimes a Mesa Boogie V Twin pre-amp pedal, which I imagine could add a lot to this amp, for both clean and distortion. I might also swap out the speaker, depending on what's in there now.

So if anyone's had any experience with the 8040 I'd be interested to hear about it. I've read the user reviews here on Harmony Central and they seem mostly positive.

• Members

I loathe anything Valvestate, so take my input for what it's worth - IMHO they flat out don't sound good. he cleans are too solid state for my ears, not enough chime, but then, i like fenders. for clean clean solid states id prefer a Jazz Chorus, and that's not exactly a chime mashine.

The distortion isn't as good as any number of pedals into a better clean amp. Harsh, and not terribly detailed

Archived