Should I buy Used or New Gibson SG Classic?

Midcitysaint

• Members

Hey guys. I sold 3 guitars which I loved dearly in order to buy a pair a Gibson Classic SG, the one with the P90's that look like the Townsend model. So I have enough money to buy new but the miser inside of me is balking and wanting used.

Which would you do? I know the original owner would have a warranty but is it really worth the additional $200?

I know there is mojo in owning a new guitar but there is a type of mojo in a used guitar too. I'm torn. Oh and the only used ones I can find are on Ebay.

• Members

As you know, every guitar is different. There is a lot of variation, not only within ranges of Gibson guitars. So if the used Classic is great, I see no reason to hesitate. Your new one might not be better. In any case it is an excellent decision to go SG Classic. There is a lot of love and passion here for this guitar!

• Members

For me, there are guitars I buy knowing that most likely they will be sold at a later time. Others, like Gibsons that I will keep or pass down, I would pay the extra money to have the warranty, especially SGs. I am not suggesting that the SG is an inferior quality instrument but rather they are thinner and if the neck cracks near the body or at the headstock it would be nice to have the warranty.

I did have an Epi Iommi SG that cracked at the headstock at both sides of the neck.

BTW, I bought my Classic two months ago at a local Guitar Center. The guitar didn't have a single mark on it. I paid $950 for the guitar with a TKL (not Gibson) hard case. I did not get the gig bag.

Archived