EVH Wolfgang POST PICS!!!

abstract

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A little OT, but what kind of prices are these things going for? I mean the e-Bay prices aren't always the most accurate of what to expect if I went trolling the used gear shops or something. I'm actually tossed up between an Axis and a Wolfgang and would love to upgrade my little OLP MM1 with the cheap floyd rose. It works, but I don't have a lot of faith in it lasting very long.

Abstract will sell you his for $900 shipped.

And you won't have to bother with that goofy trem.:lol:

• Members

Yeah, but I want the real goofy trem. As of right now my OLP is the only FR guitar I've got and while I am no shredder sometimes I just like to be obnoxious.

I'm going to have to check one of the real deals out in person one of these days, all of these great pictures are giving me serious GAS.

• Members

wolfgang specials were the only ones that were imported, and even though there were USA specials, they still didn't have birdseye necks as far as i know

you can tell by serial, i believe the USA ones start with 9100, 9101, etc while the koreans had different ones.

i think something was mentioned about the neck finish, too

• Members

The imported ones are the Specials (flat top, non-angled headstock) with quilted maple. That's the biggest giveaway. There may have been some USA Specials made in the short-lived custom shop that had quilted maple tops, but all of the USA production line Wolfgang Specials were either solid basswood or had a flamed maple top.

There are other, less obvious differences, like neck shape and finish, and a different kind of Floyd Rose, but 99.9% of the time, if you see a Wolfgang Special with a quilt top, it's a Korean model.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The imported ones are the Specials (flat top, non-angled headstock) with
quilted
maple. That's the biggest giveaway. There may have been some USA Specials made in the short-lived custom shop that had quilted maple tops, but all of the USA production line Wolfgang Specials were either solid basswood or had a flamed maple top.

There are other, less obvious differences, like neck shape and finish, and a different kind of Floyd Rose, but 99.9% of the time, if you see a Wolfgang Special with a quilt top, it's a Korean model.

Actually if i am not mistaken, the first year of production wolfies had quilted tops. these are now more valuable from a collectors standpoint. all subsequent non-custom shop wolfies had flame top (translucent paint) or solid basswood (solid color paint). The cheaper EXP series wolfgangs have quilted veneer tops (or maybe photofinish - it has been a while and I don't remember).

I used to own an EXP that I bought cheap from some kid on craigslist. Was intended to be a backup to my USA wolfie. I never really bonded with the EXP. It felt somewhat sterile even though it had similar features. Pickups sounded somewhat anemic and the neck just wasnt the same (EXP has different neck profile, neck finish). Plus, the craptastic tremolo on the EXP vs the quality ping trems that peavey uses on USA models really makes the US version much better IMO. Sold the EXP for more than I paid for my USA wolfie. Gotta love that!

• Members

Actually if i am not mistaken, the first year of production wolfies had quilted tops. these are now more valuable from a collectors standpoint. all subsequent non-custom shop wolfies had flame top (translucent paint) or solid basswood (solid color paint). The cheaper EXP series wolfgangs have quilted veneer tops (or maybe photofinish - it has been a while and I don't remember).

I used to own an EXP that I bought cheap from some kid on craigslist. Was intended to be a backup to my USA wolfie. I never really bonded with the EXP. It felt somewhat sterile even though it had similar features. Pickups sounded somewhat anemic and the neck just wasnt the same (EXP has different neck profile, neck finish). Plus, the craptastic tremolo on the EXP vs the quality ping trems that peavey uses on USA models really makes the US version much better IMO. Sold the EXP for more than I paid for my USA wolfie. Gotta love that!

Yeah, the first year or two of the Wolfgang Standards (late '96 into '97) had quilted tops, but the Special didn't come into being until at least late '97, maybe '98. The only Wolfgang Special that ever had a quilt top (other than a custom shop model) would have been the EXP, which didn't come around until around '02 or '03 I think.

• Members

Yeah, if you had a trem that pulled up, that D tuna not only would dig into the top of the guitar, but it would also throw the other strings out of tune when you dropped it to D. Wolfgangs came from the factory with the trem blocked on the top the guitar for detuning the pitch only.

Archived