Wedding Reception Music!!

trill

• Members
What? No "Daddy's Little Girl", "Celebration","Mustang Sally"?
;)

Seriously,Congratulations!

"The Funky Chicken" is on the list, too!

Also "Funkytown," "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," and "Apache."

• Members

Toto - Hold the Line

Whitesnake - Love Aint No Stranger

Saigon Kick - Love is On the Way

I just attended a wedding reception and the band covered the above songs really well and helped get the Many $$$ tips.

• Members

I used Foxy lady as my take-off-the-garter song (nobody really does that low-class move anymore). Better that stripper music. It was kinda fun becasue we had a lot of the typical wedding music and then all of a sudden - blaring Hendrix feedback.

Congrats on your wedding! Getting married was the best decision I've ever made.

• Members

i had several Beatles tunes at my wedding and i'm glad i did.

ended the event with All you need is love. it was great

Beatles at weddings can never go wrong, they are perfect for the setting every time I've heard them.

Congrats by the way.

• Members

The real hard part for me, when coming up with the set list at my wedding, was to find the right balance between music I like and music that my guests would know and care about. I did this last fall, so it's still kind of fresh in my mind.

My rules: no fecking "Celebrate", "We Are Family", "Shout", or any goddamn line dancing. For the sake of the guests, though, there were some songs I kind of dislike that got played, but the wedding is more for others than for yourself.

My wife and I split the reception up into sections:

Cocktail hour - jazz (bebop Miles Davis, Chet Baker, Thelonius Monk, etc.)

Dinner - rock steady/1st wave ska (my idea, and it worked really well: Desmond Dekker, the Skatalites, Toots & the Maytals, real early Bob Marley)

Old folks dancing - swing/big band jazz (Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, etc.) through to some '50s/early '60s stuff (Chuck Berry, Patsy Cline, the Beatles)

Everybody dancing - funk/soul/disco/new wave/inoffensive hip hop (Jackson 5, Earth Wind & Fire, Gnarls Barkley, OutKast, Prince, New Order)

Young folks dancing - unbleeped hip hop

We spent a while listening to the playlist to make sure it flowed (I put it on my iPod and went around the city listening to it), and it turned out really well. Our guests (of all ages) were dancing pretty much constantly.

• Members

You can also try "If You Wanna Be Happy" by Jimmy Soul.

Haha that song is great! If I already had it on my hard drive, I'd totally use it. I've got Johnnie Taylor's "Who's Making Love" on there, too.

Archived