Today's vinyl scores: SF Sorrow and Parachute, Black Sabbath Vol 4, Johnny Winter

bikehorn

• Members

Down at the local awesome record shop today I was about to get an original copy of Animals when I came across a 2-in-1 Pretty Things UK print album. Never heard a Pretty Things song in my life but I saw Dick Taylor in a Rolling Stones documentary and previously read the wikipedia entry on the band, so I grabbed it and left Animals for another time. Turned out to be an awesome call because both of these albums are completely awesome. Now I'm on the hunt for their earlier albums. I love all this crazy British Invasion stuff.

I also got Black Sabbath Vol.4 ($10) and the awkwardly named Johnny Winter And($4). Best $4 I ever spent, now I have the first four Johnny Winter albums including the double live one, and they're all constant balls to the wall rock and/or roll. None of them cost more than $7. The Sabbath album is the first Sabbath LP in my collection and it's pretty awesome overall, except for two or three stinkers like "Changes" on the first side. What a horrible song, especially considering that after the lame little interlude the next song, Supernaut is one of their heaviest of all. Apparently this song was even rerecorded a bunch of times :freak:.

Other recent pickups:

Jimi Hendrix Experience at Monterey Pop

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Live Johnny Winter And

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense and Fear of Music

Broken Social Scene - self titled

Stars - Set Yourself On Fire

So fellow collectors, what are your recent additions?

• Members

Nice work. Volume 4 WOULD be my favourite Sababth album, but I get kinda bored towards the end. But it does have probably my two favourite Sabbath songs EVER on it - Wheels Of Confusion and Supernaut.
Wheels Of Confusion has so many high points in it.... that bluesy intro riff, that hard rockin riff in the bridge section, and that epic ending....
Supernaut just plain ROCKS!!!

If your new to Sabbath, you will also wanna get Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Master Of Reality.

As for the Pretty Things, they are very cool indeed. I have SF Sorrow, which is some class A british psychedelia, and a greatest hits. Their early, RnB stuff is really cool. Kinda sounds like a cross between the early Stones and the early Kinks, on acid. REALLY sloppy and raw, in a good way. They did this one AWESOME drug song called All Light Up, with a chorus of kids singing "All light up! All light up!" Kickass.
Check out Come See Me for a sample of their early stuff, if you can find it on youtube or a sample on amazon or something.

Never really got into Johnny Winter, but Ive got several of his albums...

• Members

Obviously different styles, but over the past 2 weeks I bought:
A 3 disc Rick Nelson LP
15 Ventures LP's
Stray Cats Built For Speed
Johnny Rivers Rocks The Folk
AND......An extended play 45 of Jerry Lewis singing some old standards.

• Members

...I have the first four Johnny Winter albums including the double live one...

Do you have "Progressive Blues Experiment" on Liberty Records? It was recorded before "Johnny Winter" on Columbia, but wasn't released until after "Johnny Winter" had been released. Tommy Shannon and John Turner are on it, too.

• Members
Do you have "Progressive Blues Experiment" on Liberty Records? It was recorded before "Johnny Winter" on Columbia, but wasn't released until after "Johnny Winter" had been released. Tommy Shannon and John Turner are on it, too.

Oops, forgot about that one - I actually don't have that. I have all his early Columbia records - is what I should have said :thu:

Johnny Winter, Second Winter, Johnny Winter And, Live Johnny Winter And, also I have Muddy Waters "Hard Again" which Johnny produced in '77 or so. Sweet.

• Members

Oops, forgot about that one - I actually don't have that.

It's very good. Well worth checking out.

There's another album of early Johnny Winter recordings, titled, appropriately enough, "Early Johnny Winter". The cover shows a guitar case leaning against a chair. Taped to the case is a black&white photo of Johnny with slicked-back hair and a pair of Roy Orbison-looking sunglasses that makes him look like Arthur Bremer.

• Members
It's very good. Well worth checking out.

There's another album of early Johnny Winter recordings, titled, appropriately enough, "Early Johnny Winter". The cover shows a guitar case leaning against a chair. Taped to the case is a black&white photo of Johnny with slicked-back hair and a pair of Roy Orbison-looking sunglasses that makes him look like Arthur Bremer.

I'll definitely check it out. I first found out about Johnny Winter when I was like 15 or 16 and reading about Gibson Firebirds...man he really makes those guitars sing.

• Members

Lets see.... In the last couple of weeks I've bought or rented:

Buddy Guy "Sweet tea"
Buddy Guy "Best Of"
Robert Pete Williams "Poor Bobs Blues"
Muddy Waters "Muddy Waters"
"Monster Blues" and "Road Trippin Blues" Collections of Varias artists
Delbert McClinton "Nothin Personal"
Jonny Winter "Bootlegs No2"

These are the best ones lately anyway.... Delbert McClinton is my latest discovery and after listoning to a couple of his disks I went back and gotem ALL! Loll!!

• Members

Dude, I'm on my 4th copy of SF Sorrow(CD). I had that double album with Parachute, too! Legend has it that Pete Townsend heard SF Sorrow and then had to one up the Pretty Things by putting out Tommy. Apparently, SF Sorrow was the first "rock opera":thu:

Archived