HCEG forumite inspired Clash tune

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

Oi never knew our esteemed contributor CSM was responsible for Garageland:eek:

"Garageland" was written in response to Charles Shaar Murray's damning review of the band's early appearance at the Sex Pistols Screen on the Green concert - "The Clash are the kind of garage band who should be returned to the garage immediately, preferably with the engine running".

• Members

Yup. The third ever Clash gig in August 1976. Panned them and then a little over three years later dubbed them "the greatest rock and roll band in the world." Of course, then-lead guitarist Keith Levene was kicked out and dummer Terry Chimes left leaving the door open for "The Human Drum Machine" Topper Headon to take over the kit. By the way, csm, how did that crow taste? :o
[YOUTUBE]5t9vDfQYg7k[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yup. The third ever Clash gig in August 1976. Panned them and then a little over three years later dubbed them "the greatest rock and roll band in the world." Of course, then-lead guitarist Keith Levene was kicked out and dummer Terry Chimes left leaving the door open for "The Human Drum Machine" Topper Headon to take over the kit. By the way, csm, how did that crow taste?
:o

Just fine. When I first saw the Clash, they had three guitarists (Levene, Jones and Strummer) and had not yet mastered the art of stopping, starting and changing chord within three seconds of each other.

By contrast, the Sex Pistols, who were headlining that night, were FANTASTIC: an awe-inspiring, life-changing blend of charisma and power. They made the fledgling Clash seem pretty comical.

However, the Clash got very good, very quickly. Without Levene, their sound and arrangements clarified and coalesced, and when Topper came on board they had the kind of crisp, driving drums which brought everything else into focus. The next time I saw them, they had become the Clash we know and love. They were superb, and I had absolutely no problem with saying so: very loudly, very clearly and very publicly.

So: no contradiction whatsoever. I was right to have said they were rubbish at that first gig I saw (because they were), and I was also right to say they were brilliant the next time I saw them (because they were).

And thereafter, on the right night, they were fully capable of performing like The Official Greatest Rock Band In The World. They had plenty of Right Nights, and I was fortunate enough not only to see a few of them, but even to bring my band in to open a show for them in 1980, the year of London Calling.

• Members

My favourite csm moment was his review of Isaac Hayes "Shaft" soundtrack album in the NME. At the end of the review csm wonders "Who listens to this {censored}?".
The following week's issue publishes an irate reader's letter with this amazing statement "Black people listen to this {censored} Mr.Murray!"

• Members

My favourite csm moment was his review of Isaac Hayes "Shaft" soundtrack album in the NME. At the end of the review csm wonders "Who listens to this {censored}?".

The following week's issue publishes an irate reader's letter with this amazing statement "Black people listen to this {censored} Mr.Murray!"

Oh my GOD are you serious?:lol::lol:

That really happened?:freak:

Damn!! Not even CSM could write THAT {censored}!!:thu:

• Members

You sure about that?

(a) I wasn't writing for the NME when Shaft came out, and (b) I always liked that soundtrack.

• Members

Let me apologise to csm, it might have been Nick Kent, it was a long time ago. The grey matter is a little dusty, that's true. Sorry Charles.

Actually, when Shaft came out in 1971, Nick Kent wasn't at the NME either: both of us signed up in the summer of '72.

Anyway, don't worry about it -- if you could remember the 70s properly I wouldn't believe you were really there.

• Members

Actually, when Shaft came out in 1971, Nick Kent wasn't at the NME either: both of us signed up in the summer of '72.

Anyway, don't worry about it -- if you could remember the 70s properly I wouldn't believe you were really there.

You are very gracious, thanks.

Is there any way of finding out who actually did write that review ?

• 1 month later...

Archived