NAD!!! Fender Super Champ XD

jfaaz

• Members

I think it sounds very decent stock, and perhaps through some random act of wonder, the ideal speaker ended up in a $300 amp.

Having said that, I'd imagine an awful lot of guitarists are buying the SCXD for its Fender tones and I cannot imagine that the speaker that probably costs $15 would just happen to be the ideal transducer for said tones.

Much like Peavey amps. The C30 is a great amp and many people live happily with the Blue Marvel, but I'd imagine that most people that hear the stock speaker back to back with, say a G12H30 or a Greenback might notice an improvement.

I definitely don't think the stock speaker is junk that would need to be replaced immediately, but I highly doubt that it would be the ideal speaker either. I'd say that in almost any mass-marketed sub $600 amp, the stock speaker would NEVER be the ideal speaker for all players.

It's almost a mathematical impossibility. :poke:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

btw, there are "easy" (somewhat) mods to:

a) have a "line in" to fully bypass the digital preamp and use an external preamp, such as a POD or Vamp directly into the 12ax7 pi and into all-tube power section - this makes the SCXD something like a 15wt "atomic reactor" amp.

b) have the "line in" work with the "line out" to function as an FX loop (this takes an extra step or steps)

I am NOT an expert on mods. They VOID WARRANTY, but are easy to do from the pics I've seen. I think I could do them on mine, if I needed (which I haven't needed yet).

re: pedals. it's been theorized that SCXD wouldn't "like" pedals due to its digital preamp. i think that may be true, especially for gain pedals, like overdrives/distortions, etc., though I don't see why you'd want one.

i tried cheap Danelectro Fab pedals with it - the Chorus and the Echo, but haven't figured out if the pedals are just cheap (they get good reviews) or if they MUST be in the FX loop to sound good. So far I much prefer guitar -> cable -> SCXD.

Maybe I oughta just make that FX loop mod!

Archived