Orange Tiny Terror Cab Question

burton4snow

• Members

Is there better options or other options just as good as the Orange PPC112 1X12 cab to pair up with the Orange Tiny Terror? Looking for a 1x12. Will this amp do well at bedroom levels? I saw a demo on You Tube were the guy cranked up the gain and turned down the master volume and it still got a good break up. I don't know maybe it needs an attenuator.

• Members

I'm using an Avatar G112 1x12 cube-shaped cabinet with my Tiny Terror. It's loaded with Avatar's broken-in version of the Celestion G12H30, the Hellatone 30.

Orange's new Tiny Terror combo also uses this same Celestion speaker in a slightly smaller package.

Forget about using an attenuator with the TT. I borrowed a THD HotPlate attenuator for several days, and all it did was kill the awesome tone of my TT. If you need bedroom levels, just keep the volume control down VERY LOW.

• Members

I have an 8-ohm cab, but I should have bought a 16-ohm cab.

The TT can handle any of the following:

one 8-ohm cab; or

one 16-ohm cab; or

two 16-ohm cabs

Therefore, if you think that you might eventually end up with a mini-stack of two 1x12 cabs, then by all means get a 16-ohm cab now and plug it into the 16-ohm jack on the TT. Then, if you get another one a year from now, you plug each one into its own 8-ohm jack on the TT, and you're ready to go.

Mine is a partially open backed cab (about 1/3 open near the bottom). It sounds great, and the opening is also a handy storage area for cables and pedals and stuff when I'm lugging it around.

• Members

There's no difference in tone/sound at all. NONE. However, there's a big difference in your ability to mix-and-match.

Ohms relate to how much power the speakers suck from the amp. The lower the number, the more power that's getting sucked up. Two 16-ohm cabs have a load of 8-ohms. Two 8-ohm cabs have a load of 4 ohms, which is too much for the Tiny Terror. The TT works with either an 8-ohm or a 16-ohm load (but not a 4-ohm load).

If you get an 8-ohm 1x12 cab (like I mistakenly did) then you can *never* pair it up with another 1x12 cab of any flavor connected to a Tiny Terror.

However, if you start off with a 16-ohm cab, then you have more options later on if you decided to go for a wall of sound.

1. Start off with a 16-ohm cab plugged into the single 16-ohm jack on the TT and party on with one cab.

2. A year from now, buy another 16-ohm cab and then connect each one, separately, to one of the two 8-ohm jacks on the TT (16+16=8 ohm load).

3. Voila: you now have a mini wall of sound.

If you want to have 2 cabs connected to the TT, this is the *ONLY* way that'll work. And if you stick with just a single 16-ohm cab, no problem, because the TT has a dedicated 16-ohm jack (along with 2 8-ohm jacks).

• Members

I use a homemade cab with an Eminence The Governor (16 ohm) with my Tiny Terror. It sounds freakin' amazing; the Governor has a sweeter top end and more complex mids than the V30 (I own one of those in my Blues Junior, so I know what I'm talking about). Besides, the Eminence is 2/3 the price of the Celestion.

If you want to play your TT at bedroom levels, that's where the 7 watt switch comes into play. At the 15-watt setting, volume at 3/4 and gain at 1/4 is plenty loud for gigging.

The Tiny Terror is a great rock amp. I love mine. :thu:

• Members

I see a lot of these questions about low wattage amps come up time and time again ... here's a handy chart to help you remember what 15 watts sounds like compared to 100 watts:

power-db.gif

So remember at 25 watts you are 1/4 the power of a 100 watt amp, but only 1/2 the volume!!!, hence a 15 watt TT is cranking out about 40% of the volume of a 100 watt amp. That said it easily cuts through the mix running in a 4x12 cab at a gig. Is it stadium/coliseum power, hell no, but in those cases you're either going to mic it or you've been signed and likely wouldn't be associating with us lowly forumites anyways.

For home practice I really have to recommend the Avatar 1x12 with a Celestion V30 in it. Grab the "vintage modern" cabinet in Orange and you'll basically have the same thing as an Orange cabinet minus the logo. Here's some insider info I got straight from Avatar ... they use the same cabinet builder in CA that Orange does for their cabinets but you'll pay $100.00 more for that Orange logo. I can't agree more on the 16-ohm cabinet, it does allow for more flexibility later, and in some rampant snorkledickery circles they say it sounds the best at that ohmage too.

Lastly, for the love of God, take those damned Chinese generic tubes out of your TT and put some JJ's in it.

Patriarch of the Orange-y Family signing out...

--PB

Archived