Genz Benz Black Pearl Guitar Combo Amplifier info

burton4snow

• Members

Bump this a couple times and he'll show up. I PM'd a forum member about his. I have an El Diablo 60 and love it. From what I gather the Black Pearl is voiced more traditionally with less bells and whistles. Another great amp none the less.

The El Diablo 60 is too large and loud for living room use but plenty powerful enough for practice and giging without a PA. I practice with the band usually with the master volume set around 2.5 to 3. Think loud.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Does anybody own this or has played one of these and can tell me how it performes! What music is it good for. Does it take humbuckers well. Will it be good for a living room setting etc. Is there a better comparable amp out there?

I picked up the 2x12 about two months ago--they're great! On a scale of 1-10, I give the BP a solid 9. There are boutique amps that sound a little better, but for the money, the sounds and features of the BP are impressive.

The clean tones are a real test of any tube amp, and the BP really shines in that respect. I wouldn't hesitate to show up at a blues jam with the BP and nothing else, or any other venue that requires great overdriven tones.

As far as rock tones go, a cranked BP is a classic rock machine. The only thing the BP will not do on its own is uber-high gain, but throw a pedal into the mix and you're there.

The BP is one of the few amps that sound good at low volumes or high. The power reduction features work as advertised: 30 watts, 15 watts two different ways, or 8 watts.

The versatility of the BP is one of its best features, where a variety of excellent tones are available with the turn of a knob, or two or three if you want to experiment.

The reverb is very good when used judiciously, but a little much when used to an extreme.

The build quality is over the top. No buzzes or rattles, killer Red Fang speakers, powered by a set of Ruby tubes.

Archived